Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

physics question....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Curt1418, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Curt1418

Pre-Medical
    hello everyone, I am just about ready to select my classes for next semester and taking physics is next on my list. My question is, do I need to take calculus-based physics I, or general physics I? If schools do not specify, I can take either correct???

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mintendo

Does your school have a premed advisor? There should be a list of courses you need to take to fulfill the requirement for applying to med schools.

4. dago

dago University of Kentucky

Pharmacist
    yeah, calc-based physics is not necessary. if physics is not your bag, i'd go with the general class. i took non-calc based but i think i might have enjoyed the other one more.

5. MeCord3

Pre-Medical
    You don't need calc based physics for med school prereqs or for the MCAT. Algebra based will suffice.

6. eekonomics

You don't need calc-based physics, but I took both (non-calc based AP Physics B in high school and calc-based Intro to Physics sequence college) and trust me, the calc-based one is a lot easier because you don't have to "work around" the lack of calculus knowledge. That, of course, is only true if you know calc to start off with!

7. SeventhSon

SeventhSon SIMMER DOWN

MD/PhD Student
    hah that is an intriguing point.... i have found in physiology that there are a lot of handwaving explanations that we receive since a large chunk of our class probably does not have a strong enough math/physical science background to understand some concepts mechanistically. It leaves people like me with a strong background in math/physics scratching their heads at times :confused: