Physics Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sqeeks83

Melissa
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does your university ( like mine ) require you to take calculus before enrolling in the physics course needed for medical school? This was the case with me. I went to schedule the class and read that I needed trig and calculus in order to do well. Since I've only taken Algebra and Statistics, I needed to go back and take more math. Has this happened to anyone else? I've read that the MCAT tests Algebra based Physics. I wonder why my school(Miami University) makes its students take Calculus based Physics if its not pertinent to the MCAT? Any thoughts? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Does your university ( like mine ) require you to take calculus before enrolling in the physics course needed for medical school? This was the case with me. I went to schedule the class and read that I needed trig and calculus in order to do well. Since I've only taken Algebra and Statistics, I needed to go back and take more math. Has this happened to anyone else? I've read that the MCAT tests Algebra based Physics. I wonder why my school(Miami University) makes its students take Calculus based Physics if its not pertinent to the MCAT? Any thoughts? :confused:

Medical schools will accept Algebra Based Physics.

Whats your major, it probably requires you to take Calculus based physics.

My major is Psychology. Before wanting to try for medical school I was done with math. The only math needed was stats.

Members don't see this ad :)

They are co-requisites at McGill. There is calculus in our freshmen based physics, but the calculus portion is by no means exhaustive. Every science student must take basic chem, bio, calc and physics to be granted a degree at McGill.

this is strange. bio/social science/humanities majors at my school have the option of taking either calculus-based or algebra-based physics (both for mechanics and E&M). calculus-based is mandatory for engineers, physics majors (obviously) and chemistry/biochemistry majors. does your school have an algebra-based physics class? perhaps calculus-based is the only physics section that your school offers.

That sounds a little steep for a Psych major. PSU offers two types of physics courses. As a Biochemistry major (as with the Pre-med majors), a calculus based physics is required; this includes 2 Calculus pre-reqs. For others, there is an algebra based class available. It might be possible your school does not offer this... but I would check with your adviser.

Did you ask someone in the physics department about the course offerings? Usually universities have two Intro Physics offerings, one that is algebra-based and one that is calculus-based for the physicists, engineers, etc.

For the MCAT and med school, algebra-based physics is all you need. I would be surprised if your university didn't offer it. However, you said it suggested trig and calc to do well. Are they actually prereqs for that class or just suggested? Basically I would call the physics department to see what's up if it's not too late in the semester.

This is similar to the situation at my school. If i want to go to any UT schools in texas, they require univerisity physics. So it turns out i have to take calc 2 for university physics.