physics re air resistance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatgeek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Air resistance would decrease all of the following EXCEPT:
ANSWER is velocity

EK explains that initial velocity with regard to a projectile object it not affected by air resistance.

If an object if projected i would think that air resistance would have an affect on the initial Velocity of an object.

If its extremely windy and i punt a football wouldn't the football be affected by the wind vs. punting a football with out any wind?

Please if any one can explain it would be a big help....

Thanks,
MCATGEEK

Members don't see this ad.

What were the other answer choices for this question, out of curiosity?

If they're talking about initial velocity, they mean the instant the projectile begins moving, and air resistance hasn't had a chance to take effect yet. That's how I understand this answer.

The other choices were R - range, h- height, v, and, t- time.

The way that you just explained it makes sense; seems as if at initial velocity air resistance did not yet have a chance to kick in?

The other choices were R - range, h- height, v, and, t- time.

The way that you just explained it makes sense; seems as if at initial velocity air resistance did not yet have a chance to kick in?
Exactly. You can also use a process of elimination, air resistance will keep the projectile from going as far, or as high, and, as such, its hang-time won't be as long as it could be.