Physics requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguinol

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has been covered, but I did a search and didn't find very relevant information.

I CLEP'd out of Physics II and the lab for it, and med schools vary on whether they accept AP/CLEP, but some specify that if you take advanced courses then the requirement will be fulfilled. My question is what is "advanced?" Is it simply a course that requires the two general physics as prereqs or an upper division physics course? (Some upper division physics courses don't even have a general physics prereq.) I could probably call the individual schools, but I thought I'd give it a try here if anyone has ever experienced this situation before. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

penguinol said:
Sorry if this topic has been covered, but I did a search and didn't find very relevant information.

I CLEP'd out of Physics II and the lab for it, and med schools vary on whether they accept AP/CLEP, but some specify that if you take advanced courses then the requirement will be fulfilled. My question is what is "advanced?" Is it simply a course that requires the two general physics as prereqs or an upper division physics course? (Some upper division physics courses don't even have a general physics prereq.) I could probably call the individual schools, but I thought I'd give it a try here if anyone has ever experienced this situation before. Thanks.

Just as a guess, an advanced course is one that has the lower division courses are prerequisites.

BubbleBobble said:
Just as a guess, an advanced course is one that has the lower division courses are prerequisites.

I'm not 100% sure either, but I agree with this. I know that a 1yr requirement of math can be fulfilled by skipping differential calc and taking only integral calc, which has differential as a prereq.

I found that even though I got high school credit for some science classes, taking the general science classes at my university was beneficial because all of the intro science classes were much harder than any AP material and covered a lot more. So if you have the opportunity I suggest taking these courses anyways, if only as a review for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering because I took pchem here which has general physics as prereqs, but it is mostly chemistry and I don't know how the adcoms will view it. I guess I will call up the schools. :>

Yes, I'm in the same boat somewhat. Of course, it all depends on the med school to which you are applying, and the schools which I am considering do not require advanced courses beyond the pre-reqs.