Physics Right hand rules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member4545

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the Physics right hand rules that I need to know?? I've watched videos and everything but something about them (maybe the fact that there are a million and one of them out there) is not clicking for me!! Please help?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone explain the Physics right hand rules that I need to know?? I've watched videos and everything but something about them (maybe the fact that there are a million and one of them out there) is not clicking for me!! Please help?

There are two I believe. The one mention above is for a (+) charged particle moving through a magnetic field. Use the same fingers on the left hand for a (-) charged particle.

The second one to the best that I can remember refers to induced current flow in an imposed magnetic field. If I remember, I'll get back to you soon on the specifics. It's simple also.

Reactions: 1 user

Here's the other one. It's Lenzs Law. Don't expect to 100% see this on your mcat, since I haven't seen it in a practice test, but be familiar with it.

Rule is thumb in direction of magnetic field, and your fingers will wrap around in the direction of the imposed current in the loop. Here's a pic straight from my notes straight from TBR.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1400084262.622348.jpg

Reactions: 1 user