1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Physics Right hand rules

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Member4545, 05.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Member4545

Member4545 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Can anyone explain the Physics right hand rules that I need to know?? I've watched videos and everything but something about them (maybe the fact that there are a million and one of them out there) is not clicking for me!! Please help?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Sammy1024

Sammy1024

Thumb = velocity direction
    Fingers = magnetic field
    Palm = force

Member4545 likes this.
  4. 403710

403710 Guest 2+ Year Member

There are two I believe. The one mention above is for a (+) charged particle moving through a magnetic field. Use the same fingers on the left hand for a (-) charged particle.

The second one to the best that I can remember refers to induced current flow in an imposed magnetic field. If I remember, I'll get back to you soon on the specifics. It's simple also.

Member4545 likes this.
  5. 403710

403710 Guest 2+ Year Member

Here's the other one. It's Lenzs Law. Don't expect to 100% see this on your mcat, since I haven't seen it in a practice test, but be familiar with it.

Rule is thumb in direction of magnetic field, and your fingers will wrap around in the direction of the imposed current in the loop. Here's a pic straight from my notes straight from TBR. ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1400084262.622348.jpg

Member4545 likes this.
  6. Member4545

Member4545 2+ Year Member

Thank you so much!! This is great! :)

About the ads