Physics textbook recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouslystrong

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking introductory physics of the non-calculus-based variety I this summer. There's a textbook that goes along with the course (Serway and Faughn's College Physics), but it got absolutely terrible ratings on amazon. Besides, on the course website, this is said concerning the textbook: "In fact, almost any text book covering the same material (non-calculus physics) should work well," so it looks like the text listed is recommended but not required, and I'm free to choose any physics textbook I want. Since the Serway book is supposedly awful (can anyone confirm or deny this?), I'm thinking I might want to go with a different choice of textbook. I'm not sure what book to choose in lieu of Serway's, so if anybody could recommend a good textbook for studying non-calculus based physics, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

(Also, I did do a search for this, but nearly everything I found dealt with calc-based physics textbooks.)

Members don't see this ad.

physics by cutnell

We used Giancoli. Has 4.5 stars on Amazon, and I thought it was well done, lots of in-text problems, good end-of-chapter problems, but more than anything, clear explanations of the principles and relationships you need to understand to be more than a plug-and-chug student.

Members don't see this ad :)
cutnell is the way too go... it explains everything so well... and I hated physics in High School but I did pretty well this semester when I took it. It also helps having a very good professor.

Good luck