1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MD & DO Physics to Medicine

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by hyperspacekitty, Sep 4, 2014.

1. hyperspacekitty

Hey everyone. I recently graduated with a BA in Physics and a minor in Anthropology from UC Berkeley with a cGPA of 3.2 and a sGPA of 2.9.

I've been interested in medicine for a while but I decided to finish my degree and then pursue it afterwards. The classes there were extremely difficult, and I ended up doing poorly my sophomore year in introductory math/physics courses, but I improved significantly and I got A's and B's my junior/senior year. I plan on going taking the rest of the required classes (bio, english, ochem, psych, etc) classes as a non-degree seeking student at my local university (in NV) since I can't afford to go back to Berkeley.

-I'm currently shadowing an MD and volunteering at a hospital.
    -I have worked in three research labs, 2 summers and the most recent one for a year and a half. I have posters but nothing is "published" because particle physics research takes years before any results even come out.
    -I plan on applying in the 2016 cycle (not next summer but the one after)

I'm relatively non-traditional, and I'm wondering where I really stand in the grand scheme of things, and where I could improve on. I really appreciate if I can get any tips and advice!

Thanks,
    HSK

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. claduva94

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Raise that GPA and ace the MCAT. Even then, you should definitely consider DO as well. While you can get in MD schools with your scores, you are far from competitive.

4. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    What were your GPAs for the JR and SR years? There are schools out there that like rising trends, but I suspect that you might need a killer MCAT and a post-bac or SMP. Retake all F/D/C science coursework.

5. hyperspacekitty

Jr is 3.3 and Sr is 3.6, respectively. I plan on focusing and doing really well in the post bac and dedicating 4-5 months solely on the MCAT.

Would I need to retake introductory physics if I did better in upper-division physics? (i.e. I crapped up intro mechanics and got a C, but in upper-div mechanics I got a B)

Thanks guys

6. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'd retake the C, but definitely not the B.

The trend I was hoping for would be 3.5+ to 4.0. A 3.3 and a 3.6 isn't going to impress much. I recommend a SMP or a post-bac program, preferably one given by a med school. A DIY one at a local CC is fine too, if you wish to save money. But you need to ace these things.

7. hyperspacekitty

Alrigh. And yeah it's not a REALLY upward trend, but I do plan on bringing everything to an A at CC. I would do the post-bac/SMP but money is kind of an issue, but I'll look into those.

Thanks