Physics with Gen Chem 2 or Orgo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toadesque

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't even started physics yet, but I can either take it next semester along with Gen Chem 2 or next year when I take Orgo. What would you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, is it true that if I hated Gen Chem then there's a chance Orgo would be more likable? Or is there no correlation at all and just personal preference?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it is very possible that the situation you described could happen. Everything comes down to personal preference. You may hate both Gen Chem and O-Chem. You won't know until you go through it.

Really, I don't think it makes too much of a difference. But you should just try to judge which of the classes you think you will find more difficult, and plan your schedule accordingly. Some people find physics to be easy, others find o-chem to be easy, some find both to be super easy, etc... You just have to try to figure out what works best for you.

Also, is it true that if I hated Gen Chem then there's a chance Orgo would be more likable? Or is there no correlation at all and just personal preference?

I hated gen chem. My professor, while a genuinely nice guy, was horrible and I fell asleep most days in class because he was a terrible at stimulating the minds of his students and did not know how to lecture. My ochem professor was much better and I loved the course (and I found the material interesting). So I think often times it boils down to professors more than material.

I'm leaning towards Physics with Ochem....How are the labs with Ochem? Also with Physics. I think that's usually the toughest part because most of the time they are super long.

You should ask some of your friends and peers how O-chem, Gen Chem, and Physics are at your school.

I thought general chemistry was a prereq for organic chem...

I'd take physics and general chemistry. Get all of your basics first. If you're not a physics person especially. Organic chemistry is hard like everyone else said.

Orgo chem labs are LONG, at least they are here. Six hours a week for a two credit hour course. Physics lab is probably three hours for one credit hour. They're okay since they're basically just busy work.

I could be a physics person...I've never taken it before. Seriously, not even in high school.

Our Gen Chem labs are long as well. 6 hours a week, 1 credit for each 3 hours.

I could be a physics person...I've never taken it before. Seriously, not even in high school.

Well are you a math sort of person? If you were comfortable with basic the algebra/trig/(calculus, if applicable) then you should be fine with physics. And I think the majority of people find physics 1 too be fairly easy as well (of course this is school and professor specific). Physics 2 is where I think some people run into a bit of trouble. But anyways, taking it with either gen chem or o-chem really shouldn't cause you much trouble.

Best of luck

I would still take physics with general chemistry. Organic chemistry is a lot harder. You probably don't want to take the chance of managing a subject you've never taken before and a subject that is known to kill the GPAs of several prospective premed students.

I would still take physics with general chemistry. Organic chemistry is a lot harder. You probably don't want to take the chance of managing a subject you've never taken before and a subject that is known to kill the GPAs of several prospective premed students.

I agree, though with all opinions of course, take it with a grain of salt.

I was going to take Organic Chem this semester along with Physics, but it was full so I ended up taking a general ed credit instead.

Then I went to my advisor, and he looked at my schedule and said, "Its a good thing you didn't try to take Organic Chem with Physics I."

Besides, both Physics and Organic Chem tend to be the kinds of classes that you'll want to do a lot of practice problems for, and that tends to be quite time-consuming.

So yeah, I would take it with Gen Chem II. Gen Chem II was, for me, quite simplistic, and I actually found it easier than the first semester.