Physics without calculus or trig. Any takers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clc8503

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am in hurry to finish pre-med before I start the clinical portion of my major (clinical laboratory science) A school very close to mine offers Gen. Physics I without asking for a trig or calculus prerequesite. They do encourage you to take trig or calculus before taking the class, but it is not required. Do you guys think it will hurt me if I don't take one the maths before taking physics? If not, is it common for a school to let a student take physics without a particular math prerequsite?

Members don't see this ad.

clc8503 said:
Ok, I am in hurry to finish pre-med before I start the clinical portion of my major (clinical laboratory science) A school very close to mine offers Gen. Physics I without asking for a trig or calculus prerequesite. They do encourage you to take trig or calculus before taking the class, but it is not required. Do you guys think it will hurt me if I don't take one the maths before taking physics? If not, is it common for a school to let a student take physics without a particular math prerequsite?

Don't take the math. You will waste your time. I took general physics w/o calculus and I didn't need calc. since the mathematics was basic.

The physics I took was trig based and it was pretty simple. You do not need to take calc to take this class, only trig if you decide to take some math. I think it depends on the person whether or not they can survive without the trig, because there was a guy in my class who had a hard time with physics due to his lack of trig. knowledge. I guess it depends on your ability to grasp ahold to the mathematical concepts in the problems. good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, I personally wouldn't want to take physics without trig, not having calculus on the other hand isn't that much of a big deal.

I prefer physics w/calc, I received a better understanding of physics. I suggest not skimping on the pre-reqs if possible. At least take trig since the MCAT physical sciences does require a teensy bit of it.....

It basically comes down to what you want to do as we all have different strengths. I took Physics I and II (trig-based) without Trig, and while I had to learn the math as I went, it wasn't too difficult. Do it if you are sure you can put in the time to succeed, or else don't rush it.

Take Trig. Don't have to take calc, but i'd do it for your own person enrichment. It appears your class isn't calc-based physics, so you would be OK without it.

clc8503 said:

If you are taking the calc-based physics, you definitely need to take calc I or at least did well in high school calculus. If you you are taking the trig-based physics, I think college algebra is sufficient if you did well in it.

I think you should take physics with calc. It's really not as bad as people make it seem. You only use calc. to derive the formulas and this gives you (or at least me) a better understanding of physics.

Philo said:
I think you should take physics with calc. It's really not as bad as people make it seem. You only use calc. to derive the formulas and this gives you (or at least me) a better understanding of physics.

I'm with these guys... physics doesn't make much sense without calculus. It becomes just a bunch of formulas to memorize.