?Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rtmcad2319

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's quantum tunneling?

Members don't see this ad.

UNTlabrat said:
What's your avatar, Moosie?

You can't tell? :(

It's a piece of vintage aviation nose art. A skull wearing a leather flight cap with a scythe in the background. The background is a trifle too dark.

Members don't see this ad :)
MoosePilot said:
You can't tell? :(

It's a piece of vintage aviation nose art. A skull wearing a leather flight cap with a scythe in the background. The background is a trifle too dark.
Sorry. Is there a historical story/background to go with it? I'm afraid I know nothing about aviation history. :( If there is, post in the lounge (I found your thread). I feel badly that I haven't said a word about physics. :oops:

rtmcad2319 said:
What's quantum tunneling?
...A topic that will not be on the MCAT

Quantum tunneling is a non-classical phenomenon that permits quantum particles to be beyond their classical boundaries as dictated by their energies. In other words, if you had a bowl, and you placed a golf ball inside and then gave the golf ball a slight push, it would roll up one side of the bowl, back down, up the other side and back down....... The golf ball does not have enough energy to get outside of the bowl, it is confined inside. If the golf ball were a quantum particle, there would be some finite probability of finding the golf ball outside of the bowl (it has "tunneled" to the outside).

Thank you Bis and Moose!
-I know that it will not be on the MCAT, but I felt that somebody might know what it was here though...