Physio/Anat Supplement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey all,

I'm not going to get the opportunity to take a physiology/anatomy course before I take the MCAT next summer. My knowledge base in these topics is pretty much what I learned in AP Bio a couple years ago in high school. Anyone have any advice or thoughts on how to supplement my studying in this area? I'd like to minimize the amount of "new material" I'll have to learn next summer when preparing for the test because I know the BS section can be pretty physio/anat heavy. Are there any books you guys would recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Although the class is useful, if you're not going to take it there is no sense trying to learn it on your own. Your time would be much better spent simply studying an MCAT bio review book, which covers everything you need to know.

Although the class is useful, if you're not going to take it there is no sense trying to learn it on your own. Your time would be much better spent simply studying an MCAT bio review book, which covers everything you need to know.

Agreed. I didn't take any Physio before I studied for my MCAT and by the end of my studying, I had the anat/physio stuff down pat. You can learn all you need to know from MCAT class/MCAT books.

MCAT doesn't really ask any true Human Anatomy or Physiology. I'm taking a Human Anatomy course that's taught regionally where I gotta learn every single muscle (origin and insertion), bone, vein, artery, and nerve. Studying for the MCAT, the only "anatomy" thing you have to learn is pretty much the 3 bones of the ear: Malleus, Incas, and Stapes. The rest of "anatomy" is stuff that's covered in a High School biology class (e.g. this is the liver, this is the heart, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
As a Bio Review Book, I personally thought ExamKrackers did a wonderful job of illustrating things and putting them in perspective for me.

Good Luck! :)

Only anatomy you need to know is the anatomy needed to cover physiology of MCAT, and physiology of MCAT has large of its emphasis in Cellular/Molecular/Histological basis. This means that if you crack a physiology book open, you will likely read a lot of things that you wouldn't need to know.