Physio Books: Why no serious debate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStud1984

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As someone who regularly checks this forum, it always amazes me that there is no serious debate with physio books/resources, whereas every other thread is Goljan Path vs. BRS.

As someone who has a weaker physiology background than most, I have bought both her book and question book, as well as rapid review physiology by brown. Both lack a few things (especially Rapid Review Physio in the Reproductive physio dept, and BRS Costanzo in the CV section)

Let's start a discussion on which physio sources you will use for the boards and why.

Members don't see this ad.

BRS costanzo because it covers everything that will be on the boards.

I feel like physiology is one of those sections where you are either naturally good at reasoning it out or it is going to be tough no matter how much you study.

Either Kaplan or BRS should suffice. I prefer Kaplan because it presents more clear explanations (atleast for me it does) and is complemented with lectures. But BRS has great tables. I'd say use both. Not too sure about Rapid Review though.

BRS is excellent. I haven't seen Kaplan.

I think physiology is a subject where your baseline understanding is very important, and your review less so. The questions tend to be very conceptual and there are fewer facts to memorize.

If you are weak in phys, the question book is an excellent choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have any experience with Rapid Review physiology? It's not talked about much, but I have heard nothing but good things, and that its better than BRS Physio. Thoughts?

anyone have any experience with Rapid Review physiology? It's not talked about much, but I have heard nothing but good things, and that its better than BRS Physio. Thoughts?

Used RR phys and BRS phys. But i feel RR is a better book but the BRS is very good. RR does a better job IMO making clinical connections and integrated pharm and path. Both are about the same length both outstanding. Its a personal choice and the BRS has been around much longer and many may be scared of trying something else. would love to hear other opinions

i thought that the big costanzo (ie costanzo text book), which is a more detailed version of BRS physio, was excellent. it had some GREAT clinical correlation boxes.

I agree the BRS questions in all the books are all very direct, primary questions but they do test that you know the material. The cases and problems book is an excellent companion I used first year. I don't know if its worth going through again, maybe perhaps to review the diseases/systems that I am weaker in.

I'm finishing up my first read of Kaplan Physio lecture notes. On it's own, it is a really great book. Throw in the lecture videos which follow the book word for word, and you got yourself a winner.

i have a problem with this too. I am experimenting with just reading costanza phys, the big book. its about 400 pages long so you have to haul ass.

i just cant learn from brs phys

i have a problem with this too. I am experimenting with just reading costanza phys, the big book. its about 400 pages long so you have to haul ass.

i just cant learn from brs phys

Costanzo's full textbook of physio is only 400 pages long? We use Guyton at our school and it is over 900 pages! I think I'm going to switch over to Costanzo after this block.

i expect it taking me longer than that. its intense reading.. i finish 50 pages a day at most

That time frame was based on the Kaplan physio book, which I am now assuming is much less dense than the aforementioned Costanzo. Kaplan physio is packed with goodies, is 560 pages, and completely doable w/i 7-10 days.