physiology and anatamy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AgmalLella

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have a quesiton to those who have taken a physiology and anatamy class. Would you discourage me from taking this class if i took general biology my freshman year, and did somewhat poorly in (immatuity, and lack of studying)?

The thing is, i might not be able to take general bio again at my school now, because they require chemistry and math as a pre-requisite, and i'm a graduating senior, so i don't want to spend my time on that since im going into a post-bacc program after graduation. So here's the question, Yay or Nay for physiology and anatomy (if i do not convince them to allow me to enter general biology)?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how your anatomy and physiology is structured really. Ask the students from your school.. those classes vary greatly I have found from school to school.

As a general basis you will be learning the bones, muscles, viscera, histology, neuro, endo, vascular systems, and developmental.

If you believe you were just immature and lacked good studying habits back then, I would see no problem from taking it now. Though it does help having a good understanding of the basic sciences so you don't have to work twice as hard to get the lingo and some concepts (like biochem, physics, etc.)

Does your school have different levels of A&P? For instance, we have 3: the just-having-a-pulse-gets-you-an-A version, the moderate version, and the take-the-vaseline-with-you-to-the-exam version.

If so I recommend the pulse version; the vaseline version wasn't fun.

Seriously though, if you think you'll get an A, take it. If not, don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my school offers:
Ant/Phys 1 & 2
Human Morph. 1 & 2
Comparative Animal Phys <----my advisor suggests this class??)
Anyone else take a class similar and what are your thoughts (helpful/not)??

SpiderBill said:
Does your school have different levels of A&P? For instance, we have 3: the just-having-a-pulse-gets-you-an-A version, the moderate version, and the take-the-vaseline-with-you-to-the-exam version.

If so I recommend the pulse version; the vaseline version wasn't fun.

Seriously though, if you think you'll get an A, take it. If not, don't.

That's what im worried about. The science classes at my university are extremely hard. Anyhow, here is the course description :

The basic principles of mammalian physiology. The subject matter includes circulation, respiration, nutrition, excretion (and their control by the nervous and endocrine systems), and sensation and coordination. May not be taken for credit in addition to HBY 350.

Go for it, or not?

I recommend going for it. If it wasnt hard, then you wouldnt be learning much, right? Medical school classes will be hard, so you may as well get used to it now.

TTSD said:
Depends on how your anatomy and physiology is structured really. Ask the students from your school.. those classes vary greatly I have found from school to school.

As a general basis you will be learning the bones, muscles, viscera, histology, neuro, endo, vascular systems, and developmental.

If you believe you were just immature and lacked good studying habits back then, I would see no problem from taking it now. Though it does help having a good understanding of the basic sciences so you don't have to work twice as hard to get the lingo and some concepts (like biochem, physics, etc.)

This is the course description, my friend is the one that told me that this is anatomy and physiology) :

The basic principles of mammalian physiology. The subject matter includes circulation, respiration, nutrition, excretion (and their control by the nervous and endocrine systems), and sensation and coordination. May not be taken for credit in addition to HBY 350.

Will it be helpful, for when i take the MCAT? :)

AgmalLella said:
This is the course description, my friend is the one that told me that this is anatomy and physiology) :

Will it be helpful, for when i take the MCAT? :)

Yeah, I wish I had taken it before the MCAT. As SpiderBill said, my anatomy course was over two quarters and one quarter of physiology and each one required COPIOUS amounts of vasaline (one one year, we drop from 200 students to 60).. and I still can't walk properly!!
:smuggrin:

However, since seeming you can take that class with little to no pre-reqs, I doubt it will be too difficult and just give you a general overview of the anatomical and physiological systems.

Took physiology before the MCAT, helped a lot considering I took Gen. Bio my first semester of freshman year and didn't remember dot. So, I'd say go for it if you can cause I found it more interesting than Gen. Bio. (too broad, too boring). I am sure you can find a student who took it at your school and ask how it was, OR talk to the professor.