1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Physiology at COMP

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Toejam, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

Our physiology prof is a nice enough guy and is clearly an intelligent person. The problem that I'm having (along with some other students) is the content of his lectures. I'm wondering just how much of his material is going to be board relevant.

Some examples of topics we've learned:

Mechanist-Vitalist Controversy (Descartes, Aristotle, Darwin)
    Memory Storage - Karl Lashley
    Phrenology - Franz Gall
    The Function of Zeitgeibers and biological rhythms
    Sleep Cycles
    REM vs Non REM sleep
    Associative and Non-associative learning (habituation, imprinting, sensitization, etc)

Maybe I'm wrong (and I often am), but these things seem more like Psychology, or at best, Psychobiology and will never be on our COMLEX boards.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I can say...and happily so....

WE saw none of it on Step 1 last year.

I am assuming we are speaking of the same physiologist....

Ahh....yes...Psych...what a wonderful system...crammed in the middle of cardio...and hours spent outlining chapters of a psych book....it oddly took me back to my Catholic high school days...copying pages out of the Oxford English Dictionary...during detention...

4. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

Are the initials J.M??

Not only is this a monumental waste of time for us, but the guy also creates questions that are nearly impossible to understand, much less get correct. I was reading the aforementioned PSYCHOLOGY book last night (you know, rats in mazes, sea slugs with learning disorders) knowing two things: I'll never see this [email protected]#t on my boards and even if I understood (or cared to understand) any of it, I probably won't see it on our exam.

He must be bringing in dollars.

5. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh yes...that would be him. He and I had a long long long chat one day after school..and it was about as productive as "arranging desk chairs on the titanic...."

Just get through it...acknowledging it is a total and complete waste of time...

It is quite the exercise in futility.....

Sorry Man...

6. dodobird

dodobird Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

what the hell is with JJ's OPP "notes"?! now that the final's tomorrow, I just started reading them :oops: BUT...."A compelling rationale can be mounted that the many myriad forms of manipulative expression practiced by a variety of practitioners simply represent different points on a treament armamentarium spectrum and that the putative connective tissue, vascular, biomechanical and neurophysiological effects are mediated through final common pathways". WTF?!! This is an EXACT as it's written in his 34 page "lecture". $10 to anyone who can name the subject, object, verb, predicate, etc. Is it a complete sentence?

Ok, just venting...but I cannot BELIEVE this guy!