physiology books and online resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andie gustafson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, I'm feeling very enthusiastic about physiology and I would like to know how others learn it... what is the best physiology for you?? do u use any online resources to learn physio?

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion by far the best (general-systematic) physiology is the medical physiology by boron , boulpaep!

Just my schools Power points and syllabi....maybe throw in a little BRS Physio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although its hard to find time to read it thoroughly when classes are in full storm, I think Guyton and Hall is a great textbook.

I agree with Engineeredout, Guyton and Hall is the best. I did use Ganong for some time but I wasn't very fond of it. Guyton has made me love Physiology (although it did take me quite some time to get a hang of reading the loooong chapters.)

COSTANZO (she wrote BRS physio as well) physiology. Hands down no contest. Coming out with a new edition within the month too if you like the most recent stuff although its probably the same as the 3rd edition (i actually have the 2nd). Sometimes the core notes for our physio course suck, so i just read costanzo. I get a solid enough base to pass the test w/o stressing over every little detial they cover in class, and i feel like im learning the stuff that will be tested on the shelf/step I

Berne and Levy for all the details.
Costanzo for condensation.

If thoroughness isn't a concern, BRS.

Boron's Medical Physiology is waaay too detailed. I really doubt you'd have the time in med school to read through that book.

I found Costanzo's Physiology textbook + BRS Physio to work very well. Those questions (and their explanations) at the end of each BRS section were very helpful, in my opinion.

I mostly use school notes, sometimes brs. but for respiratory i also used respiratory physiology: the essentials

My school recommends Silverthorn as a supplementary text. I got a really cheap used copy on abebooks.com ($13 including shipping). I haven't used it that much so far, but it was definitely helpful for renal.