Physiology MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vnicolas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was beginning to study physiology for the MCAT and my friend told me not to do it because the physiology on the mcat is passage base is this true....

Members don't see this ad.

he's a gunner.

read the aamc outline for each topic. you have to know all the bullet points.

Members don't see this ad :)
This being said there is a human morph and physiology class at my school it is upper division so it is a diffucult class should i take it or should i just study on my own.

If a topic being passage based makes it unnecessary to study for, then technically you don't need to study for (almost) any section since nearly the whole test is passage based.

Just cross your fingers that your discrete questions are all on the topics you do study...

I don't know anything about your upper-division morphing class, but there is a list of recommended classes in the FAQ. Make it a priority to take your pre-reqs completely first, and then take classes like bio-chem, anatomy, etc. Noone knows what that class is like, so you are best off asking someone who took the class, but for sure it is not something you need.

If you are debating between taking a bio class and studying for the mcat bio, you are best off studying on your own since most college classes don't put an emphasis on preparing you for the MCAT, which is a whole different science in its own right. I just realized that was one freaken long sentence.

This being said there is a human morph and physiology class at my school it is upper division so it is a diffucult class should i take it or should i just study on my own.

if you can, take it. learning phys on my own has not been easy......

Are you sure there isn't a basic human anatomy/physiology course you can take at your school? Pretty much every school has one. And yes, physiology is HUGE for the bio section and it is hard to teach to yourself.

Granted I have not taken my MCAT (tomorrow at 8:00 am), but based on the aamc's I would say physiology is important. I have taken quite a few physiology courses and feel I have a strong understanding of the concepts. Quite a few of the passages seemed to contain physiology questions, whether or not the concepts were even discussed. I would highly recommend taking whatever physio courses you can.

Not to draw disgusting amounts of flak, but I really feel physio and some critical thinking has let me get pretty darn high bio full length scores, despite the fact that I did not study any bio for the mcat.

I took the MCAT without taking a physio course and got a 31. I just finished physio my junior year last year. In all honesty its not necessary because physiology is based off the foundations of biology chemistry and physics. The passages are also based off those foundations. The topic of those passages surround physiology but its not necessary to absolutely know information about it really because if you've studied you already have it! I dont think taking physiology would have made a great change mainly due to the nature of this test. Knowing a lot of physiology would help but that knowledge is too rigid and narrow and this test is analytical and fluid. Hope this helps, good luck.