Physiology or Biochem for the 2013 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttt92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this question has been asked a lot. But I am nervous because I will not be able to take both before I take my MCAT this year. Which would be most beneficial to take between the two? Or should I postpone my MCAT until I can take both - that would require pushing the MCAT so that I study during school on top of thesis, however.

Even if I cannot take both this semester, I am planning on going to class for the other one and still taking notes/studying as much as I have time for.

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, there isn't much Biochem ( at least when I took it). There is however a lot of physio so I would take that.

Now if you want to have an amazing score on the experimental section (which means nothing), then sure, take both, but I didn't find Biochem stuff too useful on the actual MCAT.

Physio, hands down. There isn't enough in depth biochem to make it worth it. It will help you on other topics, though (hydrogen bonding, enzyme kinetics, etc).

But physio can be a huge help. I'm taking it in the fall, wish I could have squeezed it in this semester.

To be honest, I don't see how anyone could take the MCAT without having taken physiology. It's a pretty large part of the test.