Physiology or Biochemistry for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cure0008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which will be more helpful for the MCAT-
Physiology or Biochemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Physiology was very helpful in preparing for the MCAT. I didn't find biochemistry to be helpful at all in my preparation for the MCAT.

Physiology for the MCAT, Biochem for med school (altho physiology is nice to have before med school as well).

I dont think I had any straight biochem questions on my MCAT. I had a few passages on straight up physiology. Could you have figured them out w/o having the course? Sure, thats why you buy MCAT review books that will cover what you need to know. But, it was A LOT easier b/c 1) i didnt have to study that portion of the bio test b/c i knew it already and 2) i knew it better than I would have if I studied via review book so the passages were pretty easy. I basically could tell what questions they were going to ask and had a good idea of what the answers would be.

I vote physiology for MCAT. But again, if you can't take it before the MCAT its not really a big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took neither when I took the MCAT. I still got a good score on the MCAT BS section. But I'd say Physiology would definitely have been useful. I had to learn Physio from prep books: definitely was not fun.

i like what others have said. So i'm just reiterating...

-Physiology can be quite helpful for the MCAT, though its not deemed a necessity for success.

-Biochemistry wasn't stressed much on the THREE mcats I took. However, taking the class will benefit you if it is considered a pre-requisite at certain medical schools.