1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

physiology question

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by jesse14, Nov 30, 2005.

1. jesse14

jesse14 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

DPT / OTD
    Hey med students,

I was just wondering if anyone has a second to help me out with a question

Here it is:

Are the baroreceptors that detect MAP (mean arterial presure) mediated by stretch receptors, pressure receptors, or both? These baroreceptors are the aortic arch and carotid sinus ones just in case anyone was wondering.

Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. THP

THP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Considering that they are baroreceptors I am pretty sure they measure pressure. However, increased pressure causes distension of the vessels.

4. thatuvicguy

thatuvicguy Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey Jesse,

I haven't been around here in forever, good to see another Canadian med student. Anyways, about your question - we covered this at UBC a few weeks ago so I'll give it a shot: the baroreceptors (most importantly in the carotid sinus & aortic arch) indirectly respond to pressure in the sense that increased MAP causes stretching of the vessel walls and this in turn deforms the receptors. So you could say that they are in fact stretch sensitive. In fact tissues around the baroreceptors act as a slight buffer by sort of resisting stretch of the vessel walls. Our physiology text talked about how placing a plaster cast around the vessel wall (at point of receptor) will prevent increased baroreceptor firing even if MAP increases.

Hope that helps,
    thatuvicguy

5. ucsb101

ucsb101 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

We learned em as responding to both---> cuz u can affect BP by "massaging ur carotid"

6. trudub

trudub Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Massaging the carotid actually just stretches the receptor. The fundamental thing they respond to is stretch but pressure causes stretch. Just as one of the poster talked about placing a cast around the vessel, that is exactly what happens in atherosclerosis. With atherosclerosis, there is essentially a cast around the receptor and so the receptor is less sensitive to stretch. This is one of the hypotheses about how atherosclerosis contributes to hypertension by blunting the baroreceptor response. However, the baroreceptors are only involved in short term regulation of BP and not long term because they very rapidly reset their set point.

7. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

They indirectly detect BP by directly detecting stretch in the aortic arch and carotid sinus :thumbup:

I think there are also ion receptors in these locations that detect Na+ and other ion levels which also indirectly reflect BP (not 100% sure about this, need to refer to my physio text).

8. Southpawz

Southpawz Member
    5+ Year Member

Those are called chemoreceptors ;)