physiology question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s m i l e 2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that there will be vasodilation in the excercising muscle but I dont understand why there be decreased total peripheral resistance during excercise ,can anybody explain this?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

so simple,if peri resis is increase then how muscle gets blood,because of its vasodilatation peri resis decrease.

so simple,if peri resis is increase then how muscle gets blood,because of its vasodilatation peri resis decrease.

answer is cool what I dint understand is there will sympathetic stimulation hence vasoconstriction in other parts of the body increasing flow to the excercising muscle so in this case there should be increased TPR,it is not?

answer is cool what I dint understand is there will sympathetic stimulation hence vasoconstriction in other parts of the body increasing flow to the excercising muscle so in this case there should be increased TPR,it is not?
The skeletal muscle vasodilation exerts a much greater influence on TPR, resulting in a net decrease overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
its true..exercising muscle has lot of local metabolites released which cause vasodilatation decreasing overall TPR.

Thanks prayer!

Here is one more to help.

Mean arterial pressure is the load of blood that oppose blood ejection from the ventricle and Mean arterial Blood pressure is the blood pressure on the walls of the vessels is that the only difference?
thanks in advance

I was under the impression that there was an initial increase in TPR because epi and norepi cause peripheral constriction - to direct blood where it is needed, but later in exercise (after a few minutes) TPR is decreased because there is a vasodilation in order to release heat from the skin. I can't remember where I read this but that's how I had it worked out in my mind.