Physiology resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CodeRedDew

Thirst Quencher
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M1 and we're about to start physiology. Could anyone provide me with some good resources for this subject (books, questions, videos, etc)?

I already have BRS Physiology and Pretest: Physiology. Anything else worth getting?

Members don't see this ad.

BRS physio is good. My school does organ system blocks so I've used several organ-specific physio books. Lilly's Pathophysiology was pretty essential for cardio. Vander's Renal Physiology was a good resource for renal. Haines Neuroanatomy Atlas for neuro.

Physiology Cases and Problems is pretty good for questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Physio is pretty straight forward. I agree that you should be good with your class materials + BRS for a summary and additional take on the material.

I read Costanzo as well but don't think it was crucial. It was more of an addition and I believe I would have faired just as well without it. Physio is more like knowing the story of how something works and knowing some associated facts and values. If you know how the system works you can figure out the answer. Question banks aren't as helpful IMO, which is in contrast to a class like anatomy.

Ask some upperclassmen though - every school tests differently.

My school follows Guyton religiously. It's quite a good book although novel-like at times. Also likely too detailed for most courses. I read Costanzo's book and supplemented it with BRS and physiology might be my strongest subject. Those 2 books are awesome. Using Costanzo has helped me tremendously (talking about understanding the concepts which would be hard to get from powerpoints alone).
There is also Guyton review book. Decent questions and explanations.
Hope it helps :)

If your school follows G&H, the question book is a no-brainer

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

We just finished physio and costanzo was gold. I'd definitely recommend it. Then fill in gaps with class notes and you'll be fine.