physiology shelf exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ziffy 850

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, as I told you guys before, I managed to fail phys this year.
I am studying this summer for a shelf exam which I MUST pass. There is no structured class or anything;those of us that failed are on our own. NOW, I barely failed ( I know that sounds ridiculous), but even though presumably I should understand more with additional studying, I am concerned about minutia on a test that covers the entire course. Any thoughts?? Advice??? I know there was a similar link before.:confused: :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi ziffy 850, I took the physiology shelf exam last month and did pretty well. My advice is to read and do all of the questions on Constanzo's BRS Physiology book. I found it extremely helpful and on point. I would specially advice you to pay close attention to the gastrointestinal and pulmonary physiology chapters since mine had a lot of questions on those topics. There weren't that many calculations, the only one I remember is the respiratory anatomical dead space. Good luck!

I took it about a year ago. Our version was pretty endocrine heavy. The BRS is good, but STARS (also written by Costanzo) goes into more detail. If you still have time to read it all the way through before you take the exam, it will really help you get the concepts you may still be having trouble with. Then you can use BRS to review/do questions. Both are especially good for renal.

Good luck!

-Skip