Physiology that should be memorized

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lanced

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are there sections of physio that should definitely be memorized? I had a pretty weak bio class and no physiology yet so I'd like to get a jump on learning some of the physio that others have had in class.

I've been told hormones are a must, anything else? I realize memorizing isn't sufficient, but any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

rogerwilco said:
MCATs seem to looooooooooove the kidneys (renal system).

Thanks for the feed back, I noticed that too.

What about ear, eye, reproductive, excretory?

It seems like on some of those it is absolutely necessary to have some knowledge coming in, and on others you can derive it from the passage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just saw this on the 30+ thread:

"...it should become clear what you need to memorize (e.g., hormones) and what you do not need to memorize (e.g., bones in ear)."

Anyone else have impressions like this?

lh fsh prolactin acth gh tsh
role of aldosterone, ADH, etc.
angiotensinogen=>angiotensin I=>2 / etc... that whole blood pressure regulation pathway. you'll probably be given the info in the passage, but understand it anyway.

Things that should be memorized?

how bout things that you dont know...try your best to LEARN the information but if there is too much, memorize the rest.

Most important bio concepts are probably:
-genetics
-physiology (renal and hormones)
-reproduction (why arent we taught this in more detail in university?)
-characteristics of eukaryotic vs. prokaryotic, cell cycles, and fungi

~CDN Pre-med~ said:
Things that should be memorized?

how bout things that you dont know...try your best to LEARN the information but if there is too much, memorize the rest.

Most important bio concepts are probably:
-genetics
-physiology (renal and hormones)
-reproduction (why arent we taught this in more detail in university?)
-characteristics of eukaryotic vs. prokaryotic, cell cycles, and fungi

Thanks, thats pretty much what I was looking for. I've gathered the hormones/renal and general cell function, but the rest is news to me. Very helpful.

I memorized all of physiology except embryology, reproduction(menstreual cycle and ovaries and gonads). This is because I had problems remembering the orders and names. I should've made my own chart for these. Also I felth they were the most low yield of physiology.

Eye and ear there is not too much to learn so I memorized those. digestive system: come on you have been seeing thince 8th grade bio so learn it. excretory and cardiovascular is not too tough but fumbled when blood passes from certain chambers during systole/dystole(sp?). Have hormones and renal down cold for sure!

EK does a solid job on all topics of Bio if you're using it. I did use the hormone chart in Cambell's though.

LanceDowning said:
Thanks, thats pretty much what I was looking for. I've gathered the hormones/renal and general cell function, but the rest is news to me. Very helpful.

For what it's worth, my version of the August 2005 MCAT had a section about the liver on it!

Memorize everything. It really isnt that much. Plus your going to med school, you should love that stuff; or atleast tell yourself you do.

I would suggest studing the renal system; however, I only had one discrete question on the august MCAT. :D

I had a lot of random physio questions.

I remember I had quit a few neuro questions. A few muscle questions. Maybe 1 or 2 cardiac muscle. I had a whole lot of immuno questions. A lot of genetics also. I think a random nephro question also.

Immuno and Neuro passage. Genetics passage. The muscles questions were non passage bassed. Same with nephro.

Study it all. :thumbup: