physiology trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ziffy 850

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year having trouble in physiology. I hope I'm not just plain stupid, but I've really been studying-feel like I know the material- and have been doing poorly on every exam. I just don't seem to know what to study. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?? Books?? Tutorials??

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the Board Review Series was good.

Try the STARS physiology review/text by Linda Costanzo. It is written well, and doesn't present too much information. Also try the Physiology PreTest by Ryan. Try to do all of the previous year's tests you can get your hands on, too.

The most important thing to do, though, is meet with the course director for some remedial training. He/she should be available for extra help - the last thing you want is to have to take a shelf exam in the summer.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
ME TOO! I have struggled with phys like you wouldn't believe... I can kill pharmacology, biochem, anything but PHYS... That's my nemesis......

Here's what I did to get through it (I'm about to finish Year two! YAYAYAYAY!)

First, I'd read whatever topic in the STARS Phys book by Linda Costanza... then go back to your sited reference. For a little more detail and summed up version after that (to review... ) use NMS physiology. BRS phys is also by Linda Costanza and is prety good for tables and charts that sum things up, but the text in Stars reads better.

Sometimes I'll dredge through the material and understand it... but then by test time... it's as if the concept is completely new to me and I have to relearn it. I've discovered the best way to deal with that (and this is super cheezy) is to make posters of the stuff. For example... during renal... I had the nephron with each area mapped out and all the transporters on a huge mural stretched out across the length of my study. It seemed to help... that way, by the time I got to countercurrent exchange, etc... I understood the basics. Seems silly, but really... I hate phys. I was desperate.

Anyway, good luck... !:)

Do you know how you learn best? I personally know I learn things visually, so I make up pictures and use lots of colors. Actually, the first time I go through notes, I underline stuff in different colors that mean different things (e.g. bright green = drugs, bright blue = symptoms, dark blue = signs, etc.) Then when I go back over the notes, I can find what I'm looking for much more easily than if I just highlighted. I also try to re-write the notes, then I just do tons of practice questions. Start using review books as soon as you can! I didn't have this method down last year when I did phys, but since I've started, I've done a lot better in classes.
The point is though, if you learn differently, for example by hearing something, then you need to adjust your study habits to incorporate that.

you can read from NMS physiology.
And if you want to master physiology read from Guyton & Hall.
This is for your knowledge and future BUT to do well in your exam is something else. It is not just luck but something very similar to it???.;).
Good Luck