Quantcast

PI letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunBoom

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi. My college doesn’t offer a committee letter of recommendation so I am in the process of collecting individual letters. I see that many med schools ask for three letters, from professors who have taught you a class. I worked on my research lab for 8 semesters and all those semesters I was matriculated in a research course for 3 credits. Will my PI letter suffice the requeriment since I wasn’t technically taking a course with him, but I received credits and was graded for my work. Thanks for all.

VaultArmitage

import pandas as pd
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just an applicant but I don't think so. LORs tend to be very easy screens for schools when they're trying to cut down the thousands of applications they receive.

If a med school asks for a letter from a professor they are expecting a letter from someone who taught you a course (usually science), saw how hard you worked and graded you

KnightDoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just an applicant but I don't think so. LORs tend to be very easy screens for schools when they're trying to cut down the thousands of applications they receive.

If a med school asks for a letter from a professor they are expecting a letter from someone who taught you a course (usually science), saw how hard you worked and graded you
I respectfully disagree. If the PI is a professor, and if OP received academic credit for the lab work, a letter from the PI will absolutely satisfy a LOR requirement from a professor who is familiar with the academic work of the applicant.

I am also just an applicant, but I would not hesitate to submit such a letter under similar circumstances. I do not believe it would serve to screen OP out anywhere. In fact, I think it would be much more valuable than a letter from a random professor from a class where OP was one of dozens or hundreds of students. JMHO.

Reactions: 1 user

EdgeTrimmer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. My college doesn’t offer a committee letter of recommendation so I am in the process of collecting individual letters. I see that many med schools ask for three letters, from professors who have taught you a class. I worked on my research lab for 8 semesters and all those semesters I was matriculated in a research course for 3 credits. Will my PI letter suffice the requeriment since I wasn’t technically taking a course with him, but I received credits and was graded for my work. Thanks for all.
I don't think so since it's research credit but not a course where you competed with other students for grade.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You had a faculty member as the instructor for a formal course you were registered for and received credit. It absolutely fulfills the technical requirement of a letter from a course instructor. There is no question here

Reactions: 1 user

4pf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was a research course for credit and graded? I see no reason it wouldn't count