PI won't write a rec letter what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ifonlyifonly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so there is a complicated situation, but long story short I can't get a rec letter from my PI.:( I was just wondering whether I should even write that I worked in the lab at all because I've heard that not having a rec letter from your PI is a big red flag. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

How long did you work in that lab (hours/wk and number of months)? Have you any other research experiences? How important is it to you to attend a research intensive school? Is your application otherwise stellar with medical experiences and community service/leadership?
If it was a short experience (< 10 hrs/wk and/or < 4 mos) and especially if you have other research experience etc, I would just leave it off the application entirely. You aren't required to list everything you've ever done and if you think that not having a PI letter would hurt your application more than not having research listed at all would hurt you, just skip over it.

If it was a full time job for a period of time or if you were in lab for > 1 year, then it leaves a pretty big gap in your experience to leave it out. In such a case, I'd try to see if there was someone else in the lab, such as a post-doc you worked closely with, who would write on your behalf as your supervisor in the PI lab.

EC's
radio show, cultural club (small just in it for the fun)
Leadership position-budget committee since Jr Year
Research-This summer, and continuing into the year. I don't have anything published, but I believe I should be able to get a good letter.
Volunteering-Clinical:I've logged around 100 hours in the hospital, and should have 200/250 by next June. I also have been volunteering in the children cancer ward, but haven't kept track of hours. We just comfort the kids and play with them. If I had to put a number I'd say like 40? 50? That will increase by next June.
Non-clinical-tutoring kids on saturdays in math. I've done this since sophomore year.
Jobs-I've had tutoring type jobs here and there. Possible TA position in Bio next semester.
Shadowing-2 doctors, about 40 hours (this is an estimate) over the course of summers and winter breaks.
Based on the information you provided in this previous post, your research experience is a moderately important part of your application. LizzyM's idea of asking a graduate student or post-doc is a good one. Though it's unclear what your circumstances are, could the PI co-sign a letter?

However, If you think you have enough strong letters from other sources, I don't personally see why it would be a problem to list the experience and not have a letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never heard of a PI refusing unless they feel like they could not write you a positive letter. Was this the case?

My PI and I were not getting along very well. I hesitated a lot before requesting a letter from him.

I have never heard of a PI refusing unless they feel like they could not write you a positive letter. Was this the case?

My PI and I were not getting along very well. I hesitated a lot before requesting a letter from him.

Sorry to comment on this post after so long, but I am currently in the same situation and it's bothering me a lot- my PI has not been very happy with me lately, because he expects me to spend much more time in the lab than I am able to (we got along fine until this semester, since I was only able to go into the lab about 6-8 hours a week instead of my usual 10-12 due to difficult courses and MCAT studying). Could you share how things ended up for you after requesting a letter of rec from your PI? Were you worried that it would harm your application, or were you relatively confident that it was still going to be a positive letter? Thanks!