PIC to Staff RPh- Salary negotiation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyers0806

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for opinions and advice here from anyone who has potentially been in this situation. After being a PIC for 3 years with my company, I have been offered a staff pharmacist job with a competitor. I am going from one of the bigger chains to another bigger chain due to a better location for my family. Would it be worth it or would I look crazy/delusional to ask the new company to match my previous salary (as I was PIC before now going to a staff job)? Other than my own staff I do not really know their salary ranges. Right now making 136k a year Philadelphia area and not sure if this is out of staff RPh salary range. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You can ask. You might get laughed at though.

Reactions: 1 users
Just recently did this. They matched my pic salary. Don't see why they shouldn't either. At the very least you can try and if they don't I would at least recommend that you negotiate for the best you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It wouldn't be out of range for a long-time staff pharmacist who got COL raises every year

I tried going from chain pharm pic in a high paid region to a grocery store staff position in the same region. Knew they couldn't match my pic salary but tried to get them close. It was laughably low but they were unwavering and said all staff get paid exactly the same regardless of expirence or negotiations to keep fair. So 10+ years of practice only got me a match on vacation time. It would have been a 10%+ pay cut despite working 3 more hours a pay cycle.

That said, try it. The worst they say is no

I tried going from chain pharm pic in a high paid region to a grocery store staff position in the same region. Knew they couldn't match my pic salary but tried to get them close. It was laughably low but they were unwavering and said all staff get paid exactly the same regardless of expirence or negotiations to keep fair. So 10+ years of practice only got me a match on vacation time. It would have been a 10%+ pay cut despite working 3 more hours a pay cycle.

That said, try it. The worst they say is no
my first job out of school was like this - all rph's in district had same salary - not exceptions. I was making (to the penny) the same money as the guy who worked for the company for 40 years - seemed unfair

There's no reward for hard work in that situation because there's no metric based raises. Just hide in the middle of the pack. It also doesn't foster any company loyalty because you're the same as the new grad that has no idea how to work when you could go to a competitor who will compensate you for the decades of experience

There's no reward for hard work in that situation because there's no metric based raises. Just hide in the middle of the pack. It also doesn't foster any company loyalty because you're the same as the new grad that has no idea how to work when you could go to a competitor who will compensate you for the decades of experience
agree - that is why I though it was stupid - but it was nice for the 25 year old right out of college ;-)