Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pick An Easy Elective

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by eyesarecool, Dec 14, 2008.

1. eyesarecool

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys. Out of these six classes, which would you take as an easy GPA boosting elective?
    Introduction to Marine Biology
    Physiology
    Conservation Biology
    Wildlife Biology
    Population Genetics
    Medicinal Plants

2. avantdesign

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    definently introduction to marine biology. physicology requires SO much memorization its ridiculous. but may be helpful for future med school

3. unsung

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why don't you pick which ever one is most interesting to you?

4. MediumDef

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Plus it depends on your school. Sometimes a class that looks like a slam dunk becomes a major time suck cause the professor does not agree with your "easy A" categorization of his subject

5. URHere

Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know this isn't what you asked, but have you considered taking a psych or a philosophy course as your elective? The easy psych electives tend to be more interesting than the easy biology ones (dear god, how painful does medicinal plants sound?), and the easy philosophy courses are typically more geared towards debate and thinking than memorization, so they tend to save you a good deal of study time. Also, both of these types of courses would count towards the "non-science" electives that many schools require, and at my old school at least, exams were often held during the last week of school or skipped altogether (giving you more time to spend on your other finals).

Ok, now that my rant on the benefits of easy non-science electives is over, if you really want to take one of the 6 courses you listed above, I would go for Marine Biology - it sounds like the best balance between interesting and fairly easy. But as others have said, you are the best judge of what sounds interesting to you.

6. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just a heads up, I took some philosophy classes during UGrad b/c I thought they would be interesting. It was pretty poorly taught and very geared towards regurgitating what the professor wanted to hear. A waste of a semester and definitely not a GPA booster by any means.

In my experience, the easiest classes were the ones that covered subject matter I actually was interested in. They might not be easy for everyone, but I enjoyed learning the material and earning the higher grade was not as difficult.

7. eyesarecool

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for all of the responses so far. Yeah, I messed up. I should have said selectives, instead of electives. Also, I found out through a quick check on ratemyprofessors that some of those classes are, lets just say, out of the question :scared:.
    So the selective choices are now:
    Physiology
    Conservation Biology
    Wildlife Biology
    Population Genetics

8. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Wildlife or Conservation.

9. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Medicinal Plants sounds fun :p

10. tnig469

tnig469 No more Kryptonite!
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Physiology! Easy...probably not

11. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    take the class that interests you. or check to see which professors are easier on ratemyprof

12. FIREitUP

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:My only C in college was from a philosophy professor.

13. Terpskins99

Terpskins99 Fear... The Stig
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You should be asking people that have already taken those classes at your school.

A class like physiology can be very simple (just a multiple choice exam) or extremely complicated/difficult (paragraph/essay exams with lab) depending on what the professor expects of you.

14. erskine

erskine hit it, H
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    medicinal plants sounds interesting- though it's probably biochemistry sprinkled with some ochem only with natural compounds.

I have no idea what wildlife biology means, but that sounds like the least intense one.

This is just a personal opinion, but I'd stay away from any genetics class, especially a population genetics one. I'm taking a genetics class right now, and I thought we'd be learning how to engineer vectors and make mutants and stuff, but it's all damn probabilities and equations, dry stuff. Very disappointing.

Physio would probably help in med school, though the curve in that will be ridiculously high since i bet the majority of the students in that class are grade-grubbing premeds.

15. Rutgers06

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, good call with ratemyprofessors...that was clutch for me during college. Like people have been saying, I would pick the one that seems most interesting to you and ask people in your school who have taken these courses what they think. If all else is equal, then pick whichever one fits into your schedule the best. In the grand scheme of things the key is just to get the A and move on.

16. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Does it have to be a science course? I'm not sure how the word selective is defined at your school. Maybe you can branch out a little and take a fun/easy non-science course.