Pick and choose a graduate class! Need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marissa4usa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding the following issue. I am an undergrad student and was lucky enough to get permission numbers for 2 graduate classes this coming semester. Originally I was going to enroll in both classes; however, since I have decided to take an advanced Stat class I am forced to drop one of the grad courses. My dilemma is that I am not sure which one to keep and which one to drop.
I really cannot make up my mind. I like both classes.

Child Psychopathology
An examination of diagnosis, etiology, and
prognosis in child psychopathology

Pro:
  • more related to my research interest ( how mental disorders among family members affect family constellation)
  • Professor is supposed to be a little less challenging (à better grade which looks better when I apply for grad school). I know this shouldn’t be reason to pick the class but I want the best grade I can get.
  • Might be easier to transfer (if at all)

Con:
  • No real cons (which doesn’t make it easier)
Psychodynamics
Criteria for the evaluation of personality theories.
An analysis of the major methods of psychotherapy
and of the personality theories on which they are
based.

Pro
  • I am a little more interested in the class itself, not because I am necessarily a supporter of the psychodynamic method but I still like it and this one course might teach me everything I might want to know and then I could be all set with my desire to know about this area in psychology since I many schools don’t even seem to offer such class whereas “child psychopathology” is basically offered at every school.
  • This Prof is also helping my with my thesis (she isn’t my main supervisor but still knows about everything that is going on) therefore if I take a class with her I could aske her for a recommendation.

Con
  • Professor is supposed to be quite challenging ( I worry about my grade)
Any input?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say go for the Child Psychopathology. If it's more related to your research interest, it may help springboard you when writing your statements of purpose come application time.

Members don't see this ad :)
From reading your description, the pschodynmaic class seems to have little to do with psychodynamic theory actually. You stated it provides "Criteria for the evaluation of personality theories. An analysis of the major methods of psychotherapy and of the personality theories on which they are
based."
Besides reviewing formal psychoanalytic theory and therpay, it sound like it would delve into the other theories as well. So I' m not really sure why the class is titled "Psychodynamics?"

Regardless, this class sound more "fun" to me. But I agree that the child psychopathology class is probably more concrete and less theory based. I would just go with the one that interests you most. You will get both of these classes again in graduate school (if you go) anyway.

Last edited:
Doing the "psychodynamic" course might get you out of a required first-year course when you do go to grad school.

Maybe :p

Doing the "psychodynamic" course might get you out of a required first-year course when you do go to grad school.

Maybe :p

Don't you think that would be the same case for the other course?

Don't you think that would be the same case for the other course?

You might get credit for either, but I think it's likely that Child Abnormal wouldn't be a required course while some Theories course would be.