dreams

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2007
Jacksonville,FL
Status
Pre-Medical
I am trying to decide if I should pick up a bio major, I am a post-bac student now and my undergrad GPA is not so great (this is the reason for post-bac work) however, I have been doing upper level post-bac work for 4 semesters (GPA post-bac 3.6) and I will be taking the MCAT this June. I was advised to pick up a Bio major while doing post-bac, and at the time this seemed ok however, after thinking about it more, I am wondering if most MD schools would like to see another degree from post-bac work (with this I would have to take lower/upper level classes) and I would not have time for research; or I could continue with my post-bac (taking upper level classes and grad level). I am not sure which one to do since I do not know what most schools would perfer, any suggestions????

Cegar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
Anything to improve your GPA.

Even with gobs of research, you wont get in anywhere with a 2.8.

OP
D

dreams

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2007
Jacksonville,FL
Status
Pre-Medical
Anything to improve your GPA.

Even with gobs of research, you wont get in anywhere with a 2.8.
yes I know that which is why I am doing post-bac (as stated before), and both choices would improve my GPA(if I did well of course), so I am trying to decide which one, the extra major=2000 and 3000 level classes (Human Bio, Calc, A and P II, Ecology, etc) while the other would include 3000, 4000, and 5000 level classes(Histology, Immunology, Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience, etc) but with no Bio major to show for it; just didn’t know which would be better to do

Cegar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
It sounded like you were going to either get both the bio major and grad-level postbacc work or only the postbacc work and research.

Perhaps I'm not so sure of what you're trying to say.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
yes I know that which is why I am doing post-bac (as stated before), and both choices would improve my GPA(if I did well of course), so I am trying to decide which one, the extra major=2000 and 3000 level classes (Human Bio, Calc, A and P II, Ecology, etc) while the other would include 3000, 4000, and 5000 level classes(Histology, Immunology, Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience, etc) but with no Bio major to show for it; just didn't know which would be better to do
If 5000 level means the same thing at our school as at mine, then 5000 level work is bad. AMCAS doesn´t factor grad work into your Ugrad GPA, and medical schools don´t really seem to care about it as much as Undergrad. So I guess, yeah, go for the bio major. Also, of course, the extra major is probably more likely to help your salary if this doesn´t end up working out. Coursework without a degree doesn nothing there.

My advice, though, would be plan C: get up to a 3.2 with a 3.0 BCPM, then do an SMP to get into medical school. They have signficantly higher success rates than you´re going to have applying with a 3.4 (which I´m guessing is where you´re hoping to end end up for the class of 2010 app cycle, assuming 2009 doesn´t work out?). That advice really isn´t relevant until next spring, though, when you have the MCAT to apply to the SMPs, so in the meantime just rock the undergrad level work.

OP
D

dreams

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2007
Jacksonville,FL
Status
Pre-Medical
If 5000 level means the same thing at our school as at mine, then 5000 level work is bad. AMCAS doesn´t factor grad work into your Ugrad GPA, and medical schools don´t really seem to care about it as much as Undergrad. So I guess, yeah, go for the bio major. Also, of course, the extra major is probably more likely to help your salary if this doesn´t end up working out. Coursework without a degree doesn nothing there.

My advice, though, would be plan C: get up to a 3.2 with a 3.0 BCPM, then do an SMP to get into medical school. They have signficantly higher success rates than you´re going to have applying with a 3.4 (which I´m guessing is where you´re hoping to end end up for the class of 2010 app cycle, assuming 2009 doesn´t work out?). That advice really isn´t relevant until next spring, though, when you have the MCAT to apply to the SMPs, so in the meantime just rock the undergrad level work.
ok well I was only going to take one grad level class so I could just make that undergrad, which still means I would have to choice to take all 3000 and 4000 level classes, or take the 2000 and 3000 to get the bio major? Or there is an another thing I was thinking of to take my lowest undergrad BCPM classes again and then just hope for DO since they count only the highest grades? I do not want to do a SMP considering that I would have already put in 3-4 post-bac years,(to bad I didnt know about the SMP thing until a bit ago:)) so hopefully I can make it without one!!!

OP
D

dreams

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2007
Jacksonville,FL
Status
Pre-Medical
bump, for hopefully more advice:thumbup::oops:

sunny1

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Personally, I don't think a second degree will heavily benefit you (unless it were as a backup for future jobs - "hey, I have a degree in bio too"). The main thing is maybe you'd feel a little better about having a piece of paper to show for all these classes after a few years of hard work. But in terms of admissions prospects, improving undergrad GPA is obviously more crucial. So the process in which you continue to take undergrad classes (for the bio degree or just a la carte) is up to you. Grad work is going to do little to help you at this point in terms of getting your foot in the door GPA-wise.

I definitely think you should either continue taking undergrad level science classes to raise your AMCAS and AACOMAS GPA and/or retake some of the science classes you did poorly in to more quickly bump up your AACOMAS GPA.

:luck:

CubaLibre

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
i agree with sunny. unless you want the extra degree for future job prospects, don't bother. It won't help you for admissions. They will see all the coursework in its entirety so they have a lot to work with to be able to evaluate. When you apply for a job however, you most likely dont submit a transcript, rather just a resume with your major and maybe a gpa, so having that extra "biology" stamp will help you there. Adcoms don't need that stamp cuz they see it all. good luck

OP
D

dreams

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2007
Jacksonville,FL
Status
Pre-Medical
i agree with sunny. unless you want the extra degree for future job prospects, don't bother. It won't help you for admissions. They will see all the coursework in its entirety so they have a lot to work with to be able to evaluate. When you apply for a job however, you most likely dont submit a transcript, rather just a resume with your major and maybe a gpa, so having that extra "biology" stamp will help you there. Adcoms don't need that stamp cuz they see it all. good luck
thanks for the advice, I guess now I need to decide to take classes over again and try for the DO schools or just chug along and hope for MD or DO. Either way before (bio degree or not) would have been all undergrad courses if I wanted, so either one I guess would help the GPA, I was just concerned bc with the extra major came along with it taking classes that I have already had the upper level classes above them so I didnt want admin people to think I was backtracking and taking lower level classes at the end (even though I would be doing it for the bio degree)

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I do not want to do a SMP considering that I would have already put in 3-4 post-bac years,(
Retaking classes for DO schools is good idea, so is getting the Bio degree as a backup in case you need a job. I´m not seeing the advantage of taking the randomly assorted 3000 and 4000 level courses, so I wouldn´t do that.

I´m confused, though. You´ve been in Undergrad 8 years (4 to graduate and 3-4 postbac) and you still have a 3.2 with a 2.8 BCPM? How many credits do you have? Are the classes changing your GPA at all at this point? Anyway, I would again suggest an SMP, regardless of how many years you´ve put in you don´t seem like you´re going to be a likely candidate without one, especially if you have 200 credits worth of bad grades to overcome. Maybe look into VCU´s program for next year?

OP
D

dreams

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2007
Jacksonville,FL
Status
Pre-Medical
Retaking classes for DO schools is good idea, so is getting the Bio degree as a backup in case you need a job. I´m not seeing the advantage of taking the randomly assorted 3000 and 4000 level courses, so I wouldn´t do that.

I´m confused, though. You´ve been in Undergrad 8 years (4 to graduate and 3-4 postbac) and you still have a 3.2 with a 2.8 BCPM? How many credits do you have? Are the classes changing your GPA at all at this point? Anyway, I would again suggest an SMP, regardless of how many years you´ve put in you don´t seem like you´re going to be a likely candidate without one, especially if you have 200 credits worth of bad grades to overcome. Maybe look into VCU´s program for next year?
Well yes, after this next year I will have 3 years put in as post-bac, and if I dont get in then another year which would make it 4, sounds bad I know. I graduated with around 190 hours and I have done around 50 or so hours of post-bac ,around 80 after next year, and my GPA will keep improving but it takes more than the 50 hours to make up for the bad grades in the 200 hours. What is the program at VCU is it different than any of the other SMP's??? I am not concerned with getting the bio degree for a career, however, if I retake classes for DO school than that gives up my chance at MD since from what I know they dont like you to retake classes, and my concern with the bio degree is that since I have already taken classes above that level if schools would look down on it for me to take those classes??