Picking a concentration in Biology major, evolution and population genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

majikarp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN!

This is my first post ever, even though I've been lurking for quite a while. Just an introduction, I'm a Junior at a top Undergraduate school with a 3.35 cgpa and 3.15 sgpa, and a varsity athlete. I've recently decided that I want to be a doctor, and am going to be much more serious about my academics from here on out. But anyways, on to my question:

I'm considering a concentration/honors in evolution and population genetics right now and am not sure if its a wise decision for two reasons:
1) not sure how adcoms will see this, since it doesn't demonstrate that strong of an interest in medicine as say, immunology would
2) I don't know how relevant it is to the study of medicine, besides maybe the evolution of virus's which is actually pretty interesting.

Basically, what biology concentration would be optimal for acceptance to medical school (which is my main goal and passion)?

Thanks SDN!
majikarp

Members don't see this ad.

Which one is the most optimal for getting into medical school? : The one you'll do better in.

one of the biggest misconceptions ever. you don't even need to major in a science to get into med school. take a degree you'll be interested in and that you know you'll do well in