picking a DO school over a MD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to both types of schools with DO being my first choice. Once accepted @ DO schools, I withdreww apps from MD schools to open seats.

Personally, I think I made the right choice.

Hope that helps some.

Peace.

I guess I applied to both for the wrong reason; I wanted to go to DO, but the prevalent opinion in my area was that you only go DO if you couldn't get in to the local MD school. I applied to this revered school and to my two favorite DO schools. I was accepted to all three, but chose my favorite DO school and rejected the others. Some of my colleagues thought I was crazy, but I think I made my point that this was a choice, not a backup plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too had a choice between DO and MD...and chose D.O. I am doing a summer anatomy prep program now...and after spending a few weeks with the 2nd years...and hearing about their OMM experiences..I am more certain than ever that I made the right choice.
Our anatomy is longer and more intense than MD schools, and in addition to the "regular" med school classes...we learn OMM as well...which is like MD...plus more...which in the long run, I feel that I can better asssist my patients...

That's just my 2 cents..
(I wish the computer had a "cent" icon)

i was accepted into tcom and a couple MD schools. i think tcom has a really good program, but i opted for the MD program because in my experience alot of people did not even now what a DO degree was (believe it or not) and i was worried that i might have a hard time after i graduated. i think its a good idea to apply to both types of schools and then go from there.

whats better sgu or a DO program?

There is no simple answer to that question. What exactly is "better"? Lower attrition rate? Higher pass rate on the boards? Better residency placements?

The first thing you need to do is decide between the allopathic and osteopathic approach. If you believe the osteopthic approach fits you better, than SGU isn't an option. If you prefer the allopathic approach or for some reason cannot deal with the implications of being a DO, then St. George's is a very good option (assuming you cannot get into a US allopathic school).

Personally, I prefer the osteopathic approach and so that is what I am going for. I will say this, if I wanted to be an MD and couldn't get into a US program, SGU would be the first place I would try to get into. IMHO, it is by far the best Caribbean medical school out there.

Good luck.

I agree with CVPA. The question is not, which is better. Rather, it is what do you want to be, a D.O. or a M.D. If you are considering D.O., make sure you read up on the philosophy and the mission statement of the schools. If you really want to be an M.D., then go for that instead. You can also apply to both and let your interviews help you decide. Caribbean medical schools are a "backup" option for those not admitted to U.S. allopathic schools. I would not use the D.O. option as a back up for not getting into a M.D. school...you may end up never being happy with your choice. If you cannot embrace osteopathic principles and philosophy and you are not interested in OMM, you will be miserable having to learn all the extra stuff that DO-students have to learn...there are some out there who can attest to that.
Regardless of what I have heard others say on this board, M.D.'s and D.O.'s are not the same. They are DIFFERENT and separate, but equal in regards to licensing and practice rights. Yes, the medical science is the same, antibiotics are the same, surgery is the same, the health care system they have to work in is the same, but there are a number of major things, as well as little nuisances that make them different. If you do not really want to be a D.O., I would not do it. However, if you are interested I encourage you to explore it as another option (not a backup). I personally could not see myself going to anything else other than an osteopathic medical school. The philosophy, the mission, and the education are exactly what I want.

Good Luck
Dale :)

I declined several allopathic schools to go osteopathic. Like one of the above posters, many family and friends thought that was a nuts decision. But I felt more at home in my current school, and feel that it was a good choice for me. Too late now to change my mind even if I wanted to (which I don't)! I went to all of the interviews that I was invited to, and carefully considered my options before making a decision. I suggest that all applicants do the same, and make your choices by your own decision and not by what someone else down the line may or may not think of your degree. Good luck to all!