Picking a major. What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatdo Iwannado

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having some trouble picking an undergrad major. I know that a science major such as Biology will give a student a solid understanding before medschool. However, I also know that students with Biology major have the highest rejection rate from medschools. This is usually attributed to the difficulty of the major, and the grades received. Example: A student with a Biology major that has a 3.2 GPA (probably a very smart student, but still a poor GPA) vs. a student with an English major and a 3.75 GPA. Even if the Bio major does a bit better than the English major on the MCAT, the student with the English major has a much better chance for acceptance. I was told that medschools don't care what your major is, they simply focus on your GPA.

So I guess my real question is: What would be your advice? Would you go for the Bio major (or something similar) and risk not having the greatest GPA? Or would you go for a major you know you could do much better at just to have a better chance at acceptance? It would be helpful if you would include you undergrad major and your experience with your reply. Thanks in for any help in advance!

Joe

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you really just need to decide what you like the most. If you major in something easy but don't enjoy you are not likely to do well in it. I am majoring in Biology with a concentration in biochemistry, cellular, and molecular biology. I am doing it because I like this stuff if you don't have a strong interest in the sciences than don't major in them but don't not major in something because you are afraid your GPA will fall.

actually, most med schools wil recalculate your science GPA and non-science GPA so it doesn't really matter that the English major's overall GPA is higher than the Biology major's.

major in what you like the best. you have the rest of your life to study science.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, but you only have the rest of your life!

My advice would be to pick a major that you ENJOY...and don't worry about what you think admissions would like. If you pick something you enjoy..then you will most likely do well in that area(higher gpa). Just make sure you take all the general premedical requirements.

Originally posted by whatdo Iwannado
I am having some trouble picking an undergrad major. I know that a science major such as Biology will give a student a solid understanding before medschool. However, I also know that students with Biology major have the highest rejection rate from medschools. This is usually attributed to the difficulty of the major, and the grades received. Example: A student with a Biology major that has a 3.2 GPA (probably a very smart student, but still a poor GPA) vs. a student with an English major and a 3.75 GPA. Even if the Bio major does a bit better than the English major on the MCAT, the student with the English major has a much better chance for acceptance. I was told that medschools don't care what your major is, they simply focus on your GPA.

So I guess my real question is: What would be your advice? Would you go for the Bio major (or something similar) and risk not having the greatest GPA? Or would you go for a major you know you could do much better at just to have a better chance at acceptance? It would be helpful if you would include you undergrad major and your experience with your reply. Thanks in for any help in advance!

Joe
I don't know how good that example is. As far as medical admissions are concerned, a 3.2 GPA is abysmal. Compared to anyone, that student would likely have a hard time getting accepted. Another thing you may not have considered: bio majors are the majority of applicants to med school. A possible reason they have the highest rejection rate is simply the statistical fact that there are vastly more of them than, say, anthropology majors.

I chose to major in math because math intrigued me, and to have a useable degree if my med school plans didn't pan out. Another implicit reason I majored in math was to deliberately choose the hardest thing I could think of and show that I could excel in it (BTW I was accepted to med school). I think that you should major in whatever strikes your fancy (you'll only be in college once!), but you may want to choose something hard on purpose to demonstrate your high aptitude and willingness to work hard.

Welcome to SDN and good luck.

Originally posted by Smoke This
I chose to major in math because math intrigued me, and to have a useable degree if my med school plans didn't pan out.

I'm going for a non-science major (philosophy), but I have absolutely NO idea what good it'd do me if I don't get into med school!

Hence the ever-popular joke of: How do you get a philosophy major off of your front porch? You tip them for the pizza. :rolleyes:

I love the subject though, and if you pick a major that you're geniunely interested in you'll do a lot better. Classes will be much more fun and interesting, and you'll have a much easier time studying.

Also, if you're insecure about majoring in science, do a humanities major and minor in a science. Right now I'm going for a minor in biology, and perhaps another in chemistry since the classes for both are either required premed stuff or stuff that I'd take anyways to help out with the MCAT.

im thinking about getting a psych degree and a minor in biology.

i only have so many options at the local night schools im stuck with

My criteria were:

1. get something i can use if i screw up

2. get something i can get a high gpa in

3. get something that is midly challenging aka wont be looked down on.

Ultimatley its your GPA that matters for medical schools- nothing else. And usually the more your enjoy a class the better you will do in it. Don't take on a major to impress someone else. If your not passionate about it you're less likely to do well.

Originally posted by DZM
Ultimatley its your GPA that matters for medical schools- nothing else. And usually the more your enjoy a class the better you will do in it. Don't take on a major to impress someone else. If your not passionate about it you're less likely to do well.

is that neccessarily true?

no, not necessarily true. i highly doubt that someone with a 3.7 in electrical engineering is going to look worse to an adcom than someone with a 3.8 in liberal studies.
the point is, you should major in something you like. i said before (maybe on another post) that education doesn't look that great, but if it's what you are really interested in you should do it. if psych is what you're interested in, go for it!

yeah i know lola, thanks.

its just when ppl say stuff like that it throws me.

I plan to audition as a music major. If not accepted, then I want to choose something along the line as communication sciences and disorders or speech communication. As you can see from all my other posts, I like to talk a lot, even if nobody cares for what I say. However, I do plan to take more science classes than that required of typical non-science major pre-med students so that I can have a choice of a graduate degree in either my major field of study or sciences in case my med school plans fall through. These are only my plans as of TODAY, they could change, so DON'T anybody try to make an argument that I'm too young to say this, because I know people like to argue a lot about my posts. Thank you.

To clarify my last post, I plan to pursue a master's degree anyway, reguardless of acceptance to med school or not. Whether if it will be after or before med school (if accepted) is what I am trying to decide. Personally, there is not very much in science outside of medicine that I would do if not accepted into med school. Once again. this is from a personal point of view, so DON'T anybody try to argue a point here.
Thank you.

This is becoming a very popular question.
I still stick to the do whatever makes you happy. If you like it, then you are more likely to wake up for class and learn something. We all dread those boring classes that we have to take, so do something u like, and I will all work out.

good luck:clap:

Originally posted by angelic02
Once again. this is from a personal point of view, so DON'T anybody try to argue a point here.
Thank you.

You're awful defensive, no one is trying to argue with you :confused: Majors are a purely personal choice, there's been music majors that made it into med school.

See what classes you enjoy most or think about what you like to do. You don't have to pick a major your first year anyway.

Originally posted by Bomb#20

You're awful defensive, no one is trying to argue with you :confused: Majors are a purely personal choice, there's been music majors that made it into med school.

Yeah...there are actually two at Bomb's and my school! :) Anyway, look at the "double major" thread for more advice. just do whatever your heart tells you is right...

I'm sorry if it seemed defensive, but some people who answered one of my previous posts of similar nature made me mad.