Picking an MCAT prep company is like picking the "right" religion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Howisbabbyformd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like this? There seems to be so much conflicting information out there about MCAT prep. I feel like choosing the "right" prep company is just about impossible as there are champions out there for all prep companies and some who spend a year studying with 3 different companies to cover all their bases. I don't have that kind of time. I suck at standardized exams and it's been a while since I have been in college so the information is not fresh in my mind by any means. Is there any studies or unbiased data out there that can show which company has the best track record? What about your personal anecdote? I used EK during a half assed attempt a few years ago and scored 26, but I feel that maybe EK will limit me to not much more than that...I am just trying to avoid getting sent to MCAT hell for using the wrong company.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else feel like this? There seems to be so much conflicting information out there about MCAT prep. I feel like choosing the "right" prep company is just about impossible as there are champions out there for all prep companies and some who spend a year studying with 3 different companies to cover all their bases. I don't have that kind of time. I suck at standardized exams and it's been a while since I have been in college so the information is not fresh in my mind by any means. Is there any studies or unbiased data out there that can show which company has the best track record? What about your personal anecdote? I used EK during a half assed attempt a few years ago and scored 26, but I feel that maybe EK will limit me to not much more than that...I am just trying to avoid getting sent to MCAT hell for using the wrong company.

Using your church analogy, wouldn't it be best to sit in on a service for each religion and see which felt right for you? Thenyou'd take speculation and hearsay out of the equation.

Ask to sit for a lecture on a topic you find very challenging, and see which class works best for your style of learning. Not everyone learns the same way, so even if there was some unbiased site listing exactly what each class did, you'd still need to figure out which one matched your particular apporach.

God luck (pun-typo completely and 100% intended).

Using your church analogy, wouldn't it be best to sit in on a service for each religion and see which felt right for you? Thenyou'd take speculation and hearsay out of the equation.

There is no better advice than what BerkTeach said.

The best mcat material is the best that works for you. A very close personal friend used a different resource for each subject: Nova for Physics, TBR for Gen Chem, TPR for Bio, and EK for Organic. She scored between a 36-38 (I can't remember exactly).

See if you can borrow old resources from a friend and see what you like best. But with that said, I recommend really sticking to it. Getting 2/3 of the way through the material and deciding you don't like it can be a tricky situation.

Let me go ahead and say this. There is no best MCAT prep course for everyone and there is no best MCAT book. I feel like I'm learning all this too late.

I have everything. I recently borrowed the BR books which I was lacking. So I have all EK, BR, PR and Kaplan material. Have I looked at it all... of course not. It would take me years to get through it all.

- I personally wanted to take the BR course. I like having two hours multiple times a week and learning thing a bit more slowly, but that schedule doesn't work for me. I have to travel for work Mon-Wed and have a chem class on Thurs evening. That means only a wknd course works. I'm taking Kaplan for that reason.

- EK has the best books if you know the material. A concise review. But, you won't learn the material from them, or least not that easily. Too concise and too much too fast (I'm not talking about the 1001 series, which I think is great if you don't know something or need to enhance something in your knowledge base).

- If I could do it all over again (and I'm crossing my fingers I won't have to), I would have still gone with Kaplan (I wouldn't have much choice b/c of schedule), supplement biology with EK 1001 passages and BR passages. That would cover bio.

For o-chem, I'd probably use Chad's videos or something of that nature since it has been many years and I don't remember it, and supplement the 1001 O-chem book (on the easier side, but I need it). Then, physics (PR or BR), chem (I actually like Kaplan here but I'm decent at chem) and verbal EK 101 is the winner.

BUT THEY ALL TEACH YOU THE MATERIAL. Pick the one you like the most and work through it. A slightly inferior book that you will read a lot trumps a superior (was frustrated by BR Organic chem though I'm sure it's good). I like the Kaplan online syllabus a lot and go back to it more than any other material, eager to put completion dates near items. It's a personal quirk, but it makes me review MCAT material more than just having books laying there. The MCAT is definitely a know thyself test.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly it's just about your personal learning style. My brother can't sit down and do anything, so Berkeley Review was out of the question. He got a 33 using the Kaplan course and nothing else. He didn't even do the hw they assigned, all he did was go to a 2 hour class each week. Actually a few days ago we were talking about mcat prep materials, and he said if he had used Berkeley Review, he still wouldn't be done reviewing it, to this day (he took his exam a year ago :laugh:).

I'm sort of the same way, so I also skipped out on Berkeley Review. Some people use Berkeley and they get a 28, others use EK, Kaplan, Princeton, etc, and also get a 28. Some people use Berkeley and get a 40, others use EK, Kaplan, Princeton, etc and also get a 40. It's really about picking the material that you feel you can cover without falling asleep ;)

Some people use Berkeley and they get a 28, others use EK, Kaplan, Princeton, etc, and also get a 28. Some people use Berkeley and get a 40, others use EK, Kaplan, Princeton, etc and also get a 40. It's really about picking the material that you feel you can cover without falling asleep ;)

My guess is that the people who get a 40, would get a 40 no matter what prep they used.

I also don't trust the opinion of retakers with the "I got a -5 using X and then got a 50 using Y therefore Y is the best!" argument. The knowledge and skills build and you are using all the test preps when you sit a second time. Plus they got the best practice test available under their belt (the real thing).

I'd go with a combination of several different companies. Here are my observations of each company I have used the past few months to prepare for the MCAT:

EK was nice as a refresher, but a little sparse on the details. I prefer being exposed to applications of theories, and not just the bare bones theories by themselves. If you had a rigorous undergrad experience (which, admittedly, I haven't had), then EK might be the way to go. Otherwise, if you're looking for a thorough review, I'd go elsewhere.

TPR was lucid and somewhat more detailed than EK, but still had fewer applications in the text itself when compared to TBR.

TBR is terrific. It suits me very well, and I'm glad I made the decision to pick up the TBR series. Although the difficulty can be frustrating at times (especially when certain concepts aren't touched on at all in the reading but are expected to be known on the passages), I still feel as if going through TBR has been the most worthwhile exercise in my MCAT prep thus far.

If I had to rank how well I've learned from each of the companies, it'd be: TBR > TPR ~ EK

Disclaimers: (1) I have not taken the actual MCAT yet. (2) I prefer knowing the nitty gritty details because it helps me store, and subsequently retrieve, overarching concepts; naturally I prefer TBR because of this.

Godspeed, OP

While I don't necessarily agree with your depiction of religions, I believe the advice you've received is apropos.

I've been out of undergrad for 4+ years, so TBR is the ideal blend. It doesn't go too deep but it explains thoroughly many of the concepts I've forgotten. I also appreciate the little suggestions embedded in each chapter that mention what to look out for. Many of their passages expose my misunderstanding of the concepts taught.

It's too early for me to tell you it works. I'll let you know in 3 months how my score turns out.

I should also mention that I have been using EK for biology and I have some TPR materials I hope to use at some point but my primary reference materials is TBR.

Haha, I wonder what would happen if you actually joined several religions. Something Colbert or someone should try for comedy.

Just buy them all and get it over with. Or go with Examkrackers for simplicity and something else like TBR for the detailed version. That allows you to quickly review what you are good at, and slow down for topics you really need help with. Or just buy the SN2'd package on SDN's for sale page.