1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Picking and MCAT date

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by thestudent, Apr 13, 2007.

1. thestudent

2+ Year Member

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would take it in June! From what I've gathered about applying -- having to wait until August to complete your application is putting a HUGE kibash on your chances of acceptance. I really only studied for the MCAT for one month. The trick is to just dedicate yourself to it. I think you'll do fine in June. :thumbup:

4. Kateb4

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's not that big of a difference, but it really depends on your overall stats. If you have a lower GPA or not as strong of an app overall those weeks will make a big difference. There are alot of people that will have their apps in at the beginning of June, if they get yours at the end of Aug then there is going to be a big stack of applicants that they will look at ahead of you and if you don't have a stand-out application, it may take away from your chances a little. I'm not saying that it's going to ruin your chances, I'm just saying that getting it in earlier would be more advantageous.

5. thestudent

2+ Year Member

6. Benna

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was about to ask this exact question. I don't have to worry about it until the summer of 2008, but the query is the same.

I know the ideal would be to take it in April or May but I won't finish organic chem 2 until the end of the accelerated summer semester, early in July. I don't want to screw myself over by taking the MCAT before I take one of the pre-reqs.

That said, organic 2 is the only class I will not have finished by May; is that one class important enough on the MCAT for me to wait another two months?

7. aynrand

aynrand New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i think it depends on how your proff oriented the o.chem curriculum like.
    for example, my professor had most of the MCAT essential chapters taught first semester because straight bio majors in my school dont need to take the second semester.

8. aynrand

aynrand New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i should probably add that you might want to look over the organic chemistry section of your mcat book and see how much of it has been covered in your ochem 1 class.

9. mvenus929

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    agreed. Most of the stuff on the MCAT was taught either in first semester or within the first couple weeks of second semester. Look at an Ochem study manual, then the book you'll be using for your course.

10. Benna

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks, that's a good idea.