PhD/PsyD Picking Clinical Psych PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fallen625

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As offers for Clinical Psychology PhD programs are coming in and I have to start thinking of decisions, I wanted to ask everyone about a particular issue. I got into a program I absolutely loved (the students seem very happy, I loved my potential adviser's research and mentoring style, and the school is in a cheap yet big city where my parents live - which would be very helpful as I have a one year old baby, I also have great connections there from undergrad which will help with finding my husband a good job). Most graduate students there end up working in hospital settings / VAs / etc. It's an APA accredited program with great funding but it is not super research heavy school, and the program was just recently accredited in 2009 (they are up for re-accreditation this fall... hopefully that's not an issue?)

However, I can't help but wonder if I should go with one of three more "prestigious" programs with famous mentors (I have no offers there yet - but I am thinking of it if I where to get it as there won't be much time to think about this if they do come in) where many graduate students tend to go with more traditional academic career tracks, publish more, some get F31/NSF grants, etc. These programs do have a strong research fit and nice advisors too, but they are located in the northeast, where my husband and I would probably have to have one hour commutes (we both hate commuting - but who doesn't?), and the cost of living is much more expensive. There would also be no family help with the baby.

I guess my question is - do I (and my husband/daughter) need to sacrifice location/cost of living/commute time/family help to go with one of the more famous advisers to achieve my goals (a research heavy post-doc and eventually a T-T job)? A part of me thinks my goal is so hard to achieve that I should not sacrifice 5 years+ of happiness for it. I also heard many people with academic goals end up liking clinical work and changing their career goals, so a part of me wants to go with the program that's a best fit overall.

My potential new advisor said that he will help me with my goals if I am willing to work towards them - but his students seem to be publishing less (but not little by any means) than the three other more "prestigious" schools I am considering (at the less prestigious program, the students tend to average 1 publication per year - while at the more prestigious program, they are averaging 2-3 pubs per year!)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Congrats on your offer! Just by reading your post I think you already decided to go with the place that already offered you admission, that's just the feeling I got.... Congrats again!

Hey! Congrats on your offer! Just by reading your post I think you already decided to go with the place that already offered you admission, that's just the feeling I got.... Congrats again!

Thanks! I really do like the program, but I am torn because I can't help but wonder if I will be competitive enough for academic jobs after graduation

Members don't see this ad :)
How
Thanks! I really do like the program, but I am torn because I can't help but wonder if I will be competitive enough for academic jobs after graduation
How did you feel about the other programs when you visited? You describe a lot about the students and environment at your 'home' school but less about the more research-heavy environment? Is it just the overall location (Northeast) that is a roadblock or were there other things felt appealing/not appealing? I am asking because you gave little description of your reaction.

This is a tough call and I will wait for those who are further along in the field to weigh in with valuable information, but my 2 cents are that both publishing frequently and quality of family life are important. If you do not have support with your daughter, it might make it harder to focus on school. On the other hand, the reality of TT jobs is that you will need every advantage you can get. If the students with your PI near home only publish 1/year, can you focus on publishing more often and discuss that with PI?

Congratulations on possibly having a tough choice to make, but I am sorry you have such a tough choice to make.

How

How did you feel about the other programs when you visited? You describe a lot about the students and environment at your 'home' school but less about the more research-heavy environment? Is it just the overall location (Northeast) that is a roadblock or were there other things felt appealing/not appealing? I am asking because you gave little description of your reaction.

This is a tough call and I will wait for those who are further along in the field to weigh in with valuable information, but my 2 cents are that both publishing frequently and quality of family life are important. If you do not have support with your daughter, it might make it harder to focus on school. On the other hand, the reality of TT jobs is that you will need every advantage you can get. If the students with your PI near home only publish 1/year, can you focus on publishing more often and discuss that with PI?

Congratulations on possibly having a tough choice to make, but I am sorry you have such a tough choice to make.

Thanks! I have only had interviews at 1 of the 3 schools - the other ones are in the next week, so hopefully I will get a better sense then - I am just scared that this will all sneak up on me so I am trying to think things through. I definitely discussed publishing with the PI and he said I can publish as much as I want to and he will support that (as long as they are quality publications)

Thanks! I have only had interviews at 1 of the 3 schools - the other ones are in the next week, so hopefully I will get a better sense then - I am just scared that this will all sneak up on me so I am trying to think things through. I definitely discussed publishing with the PI and he said I can publish as much as I want to and he will support that (as long as they are quality publications)
In my experience this interview season, I have learned a LOT about the personality of a program during the interview weekends. Programs each had a very different 'feel' and there were places that surprised me? Allow yourself to take it all in, you cannot save yourself stress by trying to make the decision before you have all the information. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
It's quite possible to get a research career going from a less research-focused program. I would just make sure that A) The research fit is good and B) Your adviser is at least somewhat productive. It's more difficult to publish if you have less people to collaborate with, although it is doable.

I can give you more encouragement if I match next week to a research-oriented internship, as I am coming from a more balanced program. ;) But I also know we have some SDNers who made the most of their time at less research-focused programs and now have faculty positions.

Wow, what a decision to make!

I would think carefully about what it would take for *you* to make the most of the more intense environment, as two new parents with such a young one, no help, and both of you tired by that commute (which is, you say, one hour each way, on a good day? That's exhausting, I speak from experience). With practical help with daycare and all that other support in your more local option, I would think it might be easier to fully invest yourself in available research opportunities. Unless you have other resources you've not mentioned, or you could find a way to cut that commute way, way down, or you're one of those energizer bunny people. Good luck!

Edit: also, the impact of your partner s job search is going to be huge. If he can get a leg up in city 1 , that might save you guys a ton of headaches (and heartaches). But, you re aware of all this and want to know more about the research piece.. well, consider that with a young department, you could have a role to play in building its name, and for clinically related research, you d potentially have access to the populations you mentioned..

Last edited:
Do not underestimate the value of having family close for things like child care ($$), emotional support, and being able to avoid a soul sucking commute. You can probably squeeze out some more productivity at place #1 bc of the advantages you posted.

Go to school #1, start working on a plan w your advisor that meets your goals, and network network network.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't underestimate the importance of a strong support network. I'm sure it's hard to imagine now, but almost everyone's motivation is tested in grad school. You mentioned having a baby as well. That could easily create a conflict between wanting to put your family first when everyone at school expects you to put them first...I imagine that's compounded even more at a program expecting 2-3 pubs per year.

If you're thinking that you could just tough it out for a few years at the more prestigious schools, that's not going to work out well. Doc programs are a way of life. It's not something that you try and just plow through. You have to be happy where you are day to day because 4-7 years of future oriented thinking will burn anyone out.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! This has been very helpful. It seems like school #1 is the way to go, and that I can still make things work there :)