Picking professor for rec letter...not best situation...help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sshashid87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna have 4 letters of rec (1 science, 1 non-sci, 1 character, 1 doctor) but I need a 2nd science letter...now my problem is getting the second science letter...my chemistry prof. was supposed to write me one but he seriously just left the school without notice, and there is no way to contact him...i have 2 options as of now:

-one is my orgo 2 prof (PhD), got a B in that class, have a decent relationship with him

-other choice is anat/phys prof (master's grad, not PhD), have a very high A (~97-98)...not sure how relationship is, but she's teaching A&P 2 next semester so I can talk to her more next semester...

my question is it alright to get a letter of rec. from an Instructor who does not have a PhD/MD? I'm thinking of taking another science class next semester with a PhD to try and get a rec letter, but some profs require you to be there for 2 classes with A's, and there's always a possibility that I'll get another B and end up in the same situation..

what should i do?? any help is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the choices you've outlined, I'd say go with the Anat/Phys professor. Better to have a LOR from someone who can say that you excelled in his/her course. I'm not sure about whether it will be frowned upon that your letter writer only has an MA, but I personally wouldn't think it would be held against you.

If its worth it to you, pay one of those online services to track him down..Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
solid letter, MS > mediocre letter, PhD

Absolutely agree.
You need a letter that will actually make you stand out among all the other applicants vs. the letter signed with PhD that basically says "This person took my class and I have nothing else to add".

In order of Hierarchy, solid letters are important. The only thing better than a solid letter by a non famous person would be a letter from a hugely important person, like a Nobel prize winner, the president of your University, etc etc. That's the only time name trumps quality in my book. Even then, I would limit my Name letters to one or two at the max (not that I had two....)

Yeah, the MS professor should be pretty solid, she's young and laid back, so I'm pretty sure she'll have no objections, plus, I know my TA really well and she will most likely agree to help write the letter so it's personal. I'm thinking of taking another class next semester with a PhD, it's an upper level class and if I get an A, it'll help my GPAs and I may be able to get a letter from her...but for right now, you don't think the MS will hurt me?