Picking rotation sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotAMorningPerson

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm reaching out to see if anyone can help me out here. We have to pick where we rotate next year and I'm having a hard time deciding.

In terms of rotation sites, what is more important? (ex: Big name hospital, level 1 Trauma center, first assists in surgeries, amount of pathology, call schedule, what time you get out, how easy to honor courses, etc).

It seems harder to honor courses at level 1 Trauma center sites or at the big name hospital due to very demanding schedule but in return you get a very rewarding and excellent learning experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Better to learn with residents. Everything else is behind this.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Places where preceptors will give HP/Honors and allow you to write the comments.
2. Places that offer free food
3. Easy rotation for something that you hate and know you don't want to go into.
4. Anything else.

Hey all,

I'm reaching out to see if anyone can help me out here. We have to pick where we rotate next year and I'm having a hard time deciding.

In terms of rotation sites, what is more important? (ex: Big name hospital, level 1 Trauma center, first assists in surgeries, amount of pathology, call schedule, what time you get out, how easy to honor courses, etc).

It seems harder to honor courses at level 1 Trauma center sites or at the big name hospital due to very demanding schedule but in return you get a very rewarding and excellent learning experience.

Agree with DO2015, but with some clarification. Pick a site that is home to the residents. There's a big difference with residents just rotating through a hospital than it being their home program where you'll have much more interaction/learning. I don't know how your clerkship system is set up, but if you don't have many of those sites, then just go with whatever is easiest so you can go home and study to crush Step 2.