Picking school with a Bad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firenoodle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i am a graduate student with a 3.8 GPA. my undergrad GPA is 2.7, i re took some of those classes and did pretty well. my DAT score AA is 19 and PA is 19. i am a resident of california, what are some of schools i should apply to?

i currently applied to 7 school, NYU, USC, TUFTS, BU, UDM, UCLA, TEMPLE, Arizona school of dentistry.

How many school should i apply to? and where? since alot of school dont take out state residents?

Thanx alot guys, if i make it in this year its all because of you guys, you guys are the greatest!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you figure this one out, distill it, put it in a bottle, and sell it because this is essentially the same question everyone else has - what is it gonna take for me to get into dental school? GPA? DAT? Shadow? Volunteer? AADSAS early/late? Interview? Secret handshake?

If I knew, I'd share.

That being said, the grad school work (in sciences) with that GPA and respectable DAT scores look to me like you should be in good shape. You may want to add schools in CA to the list. True, I've heard competition out there is fierce but at least you compete against other in-state people for in-state slots versus looking for charity out-of state slots at other locales in the country and compete against everyone on earth (literally).

firenoodle said:
hey guys, i am a graduate student with a 3.8 GPA. my undergrad GPA is 2.7, i re took some of those classes and did pretty well. my DAT score AA is 19 and PA is 19. i am a resident of california, what are some of schools i should apply to?

i currently applied to 7 school, NYU, USC, TUFTS, BU, UDM, UCLA, TEMPLE, Arizona school of dentistry.

How many school should i apply to? and where? since alot of school dont take out state residents?

Thanx alot guys, if i make it in this year its all because of you guys, you guys are the greatest!!!

wax on.....wax off

Members don't see this ad :)
based on your GPA and DAT score and since you have graduate course..you have a good chance to get in some of California schools. Also note that it all depends on the time you apply (earlier the better) and also if you have had any research and extracurricular that makes your application come out...from my own experience last year..there are lots and lots of student with high GPA and super DAT scores..for you try to be as unique as you can in your application and maybe you should add UNLV in to your list..best of luck.. :thumbup:

mahya said:
based on your GPA and DAT score and since you have graduate course..you have a good chance to get in some of California schools. Also note that it all depends on the time you apply (earlier the better) and also if you have had any research and extracurricular that makes your application come out...from my own experience last year..there are lots and lots of student with high GPA and super DAT scores..for you try to be as unique as you can in your application and maybe you should add UNLV in to your list..best of luck.. :thumbup:

hey, thanx alot, i have just added a whole bunch of school today, i hope its not gonna take AADSAS too long to send them out.