• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

az_drugdlr

PharmD Candidate 2011
10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I've been talking to several people about getting into school...and not getting into school. I can't tell you how many times people have told me in the last two weeks to "Just pick a school." and "You're so lucky to be into your schools and you can just choose."

I just wanted to let everyone who's frustrated with trying to pick a school know that you're not alone! I've spent HOURS over the last two weeks trying to decide...making lists of pros and cons, talking to PharmD students and pharmacists, posting on SDN, talking to family and friends, and yes, crying!

And, to those of you who have not yet been accepted and are frustrated, wishing you were in my shoes (as you've told me many times the last few weeks)...having to pick between schools and make such a big decision that will affect the rest of your life is not as "lucky" as you think. In a way, yes, the people that have been accepted are lucky, but when you're trying to decide which school to go to, you certainly don't feel as "lucky" as the whole world seems to think you should!

Anyway, I just wanted to put this out there, for those of you who feel at your wit's end, like I've been feeling. Good luck with getting accepted and making your decisions. And have no fear...when you finally decide, you'll feel a whole lot better!

JJRAZ

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2007
Arizona
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I felt the same way, torn between Midwestern-CPG, UofA, and Minnesota, but like you, I decided to head to the University of Arizona, and lose the deposit I put down and Midwestern...see you in the fall, good luck to everyone else.

az_drugdlr

PharmD Candidate 2011
10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I felt the same way, torn between Midwestern-CPG, UofA, and Minnesota, but like you, I decided to head to the University of Arizona, and lose the deposit I put down and Midwestern...see you in the fall, good luck to everyone else.

I was going to put down my deposit at CPG (it was due today), but since we heard from UA early, I managed to avoid that hassle :thumbup:

About the Ads

TV09

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I definitely agree that it is difficult to choose what schools to apply to. It seems as though my list is steadily changing and I cannot choose schools to apply to, since one is always hearing good remarks about one school and bad for another.

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
And, to those of you who have not yet been accepted and are frustrated, wishing you were in my shoes (as you've told me many times the last few weeks)...having to pick between schools and make such a big decision that will affect the rest of your life is not as "lucky" as you think. In a way, yes, the people that have been accepted are lucky, but when you're trying to decide which school to go to, you certainly don't feel as "lucky" as the whole world seems to think you should!

I'm thinking you may have thought you wouldn't get accepted to as many places as you were. I only applied to 4 schools, but I know what order they are prioritized in because my wife and I talked about where we'd go before I applied. She wanted to stay in California and I wanted to apply ED. We agreed there was no way we could afford bay area cost of living so I applied ED at Oregon State. Then proximity rules the rest. So in this case if I get accepted to all four it would be Oregon State (I got her to agree with me here:thumbup: ) Loma Linda, Western, and USC.

Not that I wouldn't have second thoughts about those choices, but it helps that we pretty much decided beforehand. (Keeping in mind I haven't been accepted anywhere yet:thumbdown: )

pharmhopeful

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I'm in agony weighing the pros and cons of UCSD vs. UCSF. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely thrilled to be accepted to both schools, but this will easily be the toughest decision yet that I have ever had to make in my life. I feel like either way I go, I'll always have that lingering "what if" in the back of my head.

I totally feel you on that, so you are not alone. The fact that you were accepted to multiple schools just shows that you're a very desirable candidate with tons of potential. However, getting into any school at all is a tremendous feat. Either way, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your decision. :)

High fives all around for the multiple acceptances! I'm actually thinking of purchasing a book that helps you go through the process of making decisions like this. Is that over the top?

eddie269

Still in shock...
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Well, as a 3rd year re-applicant, I can easily say something offensive here and get banned. :) It all depends on the situation you are in. For me, I am blessed and lucky to have an acceptance this year even if it's just to one school so far.

I know I would've went crazy if someone with multiple acceptances came up to me and cried/complained about what school to pick if I didn't even have one yet. Just be content that your life is set and be proud because you've earned it. You will never know how some of us feel when we are denied our dreams and we are stuck in this rut of "What am I doing with my life?"

If you want to know about crying and being depressed, try quitting your career and starting over at a JC taking/retaking general chem with 18 yr old KIDS, spending your Friday nights studying while your PROFESSIONAL friends are at a bar celebrating their 2nd job promotion and raise. Also going from a nice salary with savings to being a broke student working at Walgreens as a pharmacy clerk for minimum wage. Now that is worth being depressed, confused, and crying over. And doing all of this with no guarantees of getting accepted is THEE WORSE part.

Blah, that was my story for the past 2-3 yrs. With all that being said, I am still waiting on another school to get back to me and I am also wait-listed at another so if I did get 3 acceptances total, I guess I would feel KINDA confused/sad/torn, but in the bigger picture, it wouldn't be anywhere near as hard as before.

az_drugdlr

PharmD Candidate 2011
10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Well, as a 3rd year re-applicant, I can easily say something offensive here and get banned. :) It all depends on the situation you are in. For me, I am blessed and lucky to have an acceptance this year even if it's just to one school so far.

I know I would've went crazy if someone with multiple acceptances came up to me and cried/complained about what school to pick if I didn't even have one yet. Just be content that your life is set and be proud because you've earned it. You will never know how some of us feel when we are denied our dreams and we are stuck in this rut of "What am I doing with my life?"

If you want to know about crying and being depressed, try quitting your career and starting over at a JC taking/retaking general chem with 18 yr old KIDS, spending your Friday nights studying while your PROFESSIONAL friends are at a bar celebrating their 2nd job promotion and raise. Also going from a nice salary with savings to being a broke student working at Walgreens as a pharmacy clerk for minimum wage. Now that is worth being depressed, confused, and crying over. And doing all of this with no guarantees of getting accepted is THEE WORSE part.

Blah, that was my story for the past 2-3 yrs. With all that being said, I am still waiting on another school to get back to me and I am also wait-listed at another so if I did get 3 acceptances total, I guess I would feel KINDA confused/sad/torn, but in the bigger picture, it wouldn't be anywhere near as hard as before.

I didn't mean to offend anyone or minimize getting in :oops: I just wanted to let those who are struggling to decide know that they're not alone. There is a lot of emotional baggage that goes with this whole process for everyone, whether you get in or not. It sounds like you've been through a lot, but I'm sure you'll be successful and that you're hard work and sacrifice will pay off. Good luck! :luck:

eddie269

Still in shock...
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I didn't mean to offend anyone or minimize getting in :oops: I just wanted to let those who are struggling to decide know that they're not alone. There is a lot of emotional baggage that goes with this whole process for everyone, whether you get in or not. It sounds like you've been through a lot, but I'm sure you'll be successful and that you're hard work and sacrifice will pay off. Good luck! :luck:

You didn't really offend me. This reminds me of eating healthy and working out. I used to be fat but lost 30 lbs and gained a lot of muscle. I eat very healthy all the time but some of my "obese" co-workers always get mad when I tell them "I am getting kinda fat and I need to work out."

I learned to never speak about my weight unless I am around other gym rats like myself who can understand the process. And on SDN, where every other member is a pre-pharm applicant struggling to get in, it's probably not the best place to discuss it.

But the decision I would HOPE to have to make is between a school I am absolutely in love with VS a school I am not too excited about YET my future fiance is currently attending.

senzabee

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
You didn't really offend me. This reminds me of eating healthy and working out. I used to be fat but lost 30 lbs and gained a lot of muscle. I eat very healthy all the time but some of my "obese" co-workers always get mad when I tell them "I am getting kinda fat and I need to work out."

I learned to never speak about my weight unless I am around other gym rats like myself who can understand the process. And on SDN, where every other member is a pre-pharm applicant struggling to get in, it's probably not the best place to discuss it.

But the decision I would HOPE to have to make is between a school I am absolutely in love with VS a school I am not too excited about YET my future fiance is currently attending.

While there are the struggling applicants on this forum, the other half of the applicants do have choices to make. It can be a sensitive topic, but he/she shouldn't feel like he/she can't talk about it at all. That's why I chose to keep my dilemma-discussing to the school-specific threads and by directly PMing others in my situation. Just a suggestion, don't feel bad at all people :)

nc_tradition

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
im deciding between samford and cincy. please help me out on this. give pros and conc of the schools.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.