Picking up tobacco smoking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oyoy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know where else to ask this question as I'm uncomfortable talking about it with anyone in person. I basically need something to get me through the next five days. Its my last difficult stretch of exams for the rest of my undergrad career and I am in the absolute lowest emotional period I have ever experienced. I feel really ****ty all the time. I feel bad about myself and almost everything around me. Few things can sustain my happiness for long before I get back to sad thoughts and tears.

This morning I had one drag from a cigarette and I started feeling better. It helps me end the period of terrible feelings so that I can think about things I need to do to finish this last week of studying. I had less than a full cigarette over the course of the day. Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of a cigarette so far for the day. I am thinking of maybe continuing using it through Thursday and then quitting.

My concern is whether I will be able to quit. After Thursday I am done with class work and exams until finals. So, I would have far less stress to deal with. My question is do you think I can quit it and feel normal within a week after quitting? Will my mood and natural concentration ability return to pre-tobacco levels by the end of the month? I'd appreciate anyone's opinion.

I am considering this only because I feel so bad. I'm not going to judge anyone's drug usage, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that tobacco is far more benign than real stimulants that students are known to abuse (e.g. amphetamine). I do get the feeling that amphetamine use is more common than tobacco use among pre-meds. So I have to ask this: If you've ever witnessed a friend or anyone use a psychostimulant for whatever reason, do you think that they would have been able to fully recover psychologically from 3-5 days of cautiously using the psychostimulant.

I don't want to mess up my brain forever, but at the same time I can't get through this on my own. I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

My question is do you think I can quit it and feel normal within a week after quitting? Will my mood and natural concentration ability return to pre-tobacco levels by the end of the month? I'd appreciate anyone's opinion.

My guess is that that is considered medical advice, which is not allowed on SDN.

I will say that I, and I'm sure you, have friends that smoke occassionally. Exams are over, everyone's at the bar, and someone bums a cig off a smoker. So in that sense, I'd say people can smoke a little, without developing a habit. That being said, your reaction to the cig, was a psychological one. Find a different source like working out, eating junk food. Perhaps voicing your current problems on SDN will give you some relief as you get stuff off your chest. If your problems are school related, I'd venture that you will only encounter more obstacles and need to develop a healthy way to deal with the stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
cigarettes never made me feel anything at all and i kinda think its all in people's head. like a placebo.. but i suppose there must be some slight mood alteration effect..

smoke weed. (or better, eat brownies).

First, here is the truth from an ex-smoker. Picking up smoking was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. I was young (15) and stupid, you no longer have that excuse. You are old enough that you should have enough sense of who you are, I was doing it to try and look cool. Trust me, it is not worth it. It is a b**** of a habit to kick.

As far as your emotional problems. You need to talk to a professional because nobody here will be able to help you for real. Here are my suggestion besides the one I just gave you:

-Instead of smoking, go for a run. It releases the same chemicals that you would get from smoking a cig. Plus it reduces stress.

-Get enough sleep and eat right.

-Remind yourself not to sweat the small stuff. It took me the loss of two close friends before I realized that the small stuff is just not worth it.

Good luck.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong but you sound like only an occasional smoker. Stop while you are ahead, before you find out what true addiction is.

I am actually serious about this.

Well I don't think its medical advice because I am asking about a substance anyone eighteen and over has the right to use. I'm asking for anecdotal data, for personal opinions on the use of tobacco. Its a question I could pose to any person and get a reply. Physicians are not the only ones who can give their opinion on this... I appreciate the opinions of SDNers because I feel as though there is a substantial proportion of you that actually care about others. Among premeds I think the percentage of empathic people is maybe 20%. I imagine that there's more good people on this forum than in school.

It definitely is not placebo. That much is obvious to me.

As for weed, it is far less addictive, but its a much different effect and not what I'm aiming for now.

Did you consider that if you're considering substance usage for mood alteration because of stress, that your career choice is perhaps not appropriate?
Just something to consider. If you're so stressed as to turn to things like nicotine (which some consider to have an effect on neurochemistry), perhaps putting yourself through medical school and then what some consider to be one of the most stressful career fields is not the wisest choice.
Just something to consider, it's probably better to try to find a better way to de-stress than turn to chemical alternatives. There are plenty of other options available that are natural, even necessary for normal function. A good run in the morning is a great example... just saying it's something to consider

weed also is much safer...

imo, i would never risk it. everyone will have different interactions, but some people get really addicted with only a few times, especially if you already think that you need it to make it through.

i'm with the other posters in saying you should find some other way to deal like exercise- relying on drugs is NOT the way to go (and yes, tobacco is a drug).

First, here is the truth from an ex-smoker. Picking up smoking was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. I was young (15) and stupid, you no longer have that excuse. You are old enough that you should have enough sense of who you are, I was doing it to try and look cool. Trust me, it is not worth it. It is a b**** of a habit to kick.

As far as your emotional problems. You need to talk to a professional because nobody here will be able to help you for real. Here are my suggestion besides the one I just gave you:

-Instead of smoking, go for a run. It releases the same chemicals that you would get from smoking a cig. Plus it reduces stress.

-Get enough sleep and eat right.

-Remind yourself not to sweat the small stuff. It took me the loss of two close friends before I realized that the small stuff is just not worth it.

Good luck.

Right now I'm not going to be able to go for a run. I don't have the time. Everyone seems to be talking about this though and I think I have to give it a try. I am going to try falling asleep and seeing how I feel in the morning. I am going to try seeing how I feel about drinking sugar-free soft drinks instead (no sugar crash). Maybe that will feel a little nice. I will certainly give it a shot before going down a road I may hate myself even more for. Thanks for your help.

^tkim. uh no.

oyoy, I feel youre concerns are legitimate. If you have any bit of self control, smoking for one week won't get you addicted. In moderation, smoking will not have any profound effects on cognition. But, I have heard from heavy ex-smokers that they have a bit of hard time with memory after quitting. Only rescently, have scientist found evidence, in rodents, linking smoking with an increase in a mild case of neuroautoimmunity.

I also do believe tobacco's danger is a bit over hyped. Sure we all know that the tar in smoking increases one's risk of disease, people die, and such, great... but nicotine is a legitimate stimulant, helps in short term memory and help relieve stress. I guess the question would be whether 7min*cigs smoke be worth the benefit?

IMO, i would say yes, the benefits of smoking on a few ocassions for tests outweight any kind of health consequences, as long as you don't get addicted. I know a couple of people who only smoke when cramming for exams. They aren't addicted, they get by.

Last edited:
Right now I'm not going to be able to go for a run. I don't have the time. Everyone seems to be talking about this though and I think I have to give it a try. I am going to try falling asleep and seeing how I feel in the morning. I am going to try seeing how I feel about drinking sugar-free soft drinks instead (no sugar crash). Maybe that will feel a little nice. I will certainly give it a shot before going down a road I may hate myself even more for. Thanks for your help.

Even though you think you don't I can assure you that you have 20 minutes to take for yourself. You will end up having more time because you will be more effective at studying since you will not be as stressed. Trust me.

Did you consider that if you're considering substance usage for mood alteration because of stress, that your career choice is perhaps not appropriate?
Just something to consider. If you're so stressed as to turn to things like nicotine (which some consider to have an effect on neurochemistry), perhaps putting yourself through medical school and then what some consider to be one of the most stressful career fields is not the wisest choice.
Just something to consider, it's probably better to try to find a better way to de-stress than turn to chemical alternatives. There are plenty of other options available that are natural, even necessary for normal function. A good run in the morning is a great example... just saying it's something to consider

Well people have emotional issues in all careers. Physicians are humans too. Would you or anyone else criticize a physician for taking antidepressants if one bad thing after another started happening to him or her? There's nothing wrong with trying to find a way to start making yourself happy again.
I am taking a really easy semester now. Its a full semester, but with easy classes. I've gone through really insane schedules and turned out feeling on top of the world. Academics is not the issue for me, but I appreciate what you are suggesting.
I agree that bringing about the change through naturally making changes by exercise and cognitive therapy is probably the best way to go about it. And I do want to do that as soon as possible. But for the short term I need something to help me.
Also, nicotine without a doubt alters neurochemistry in many ways. The persistence of those alterations is what I fret about.

Even though you think you don't I can assure you that you have 20 minutes to take for yourself. You will end up having more time because you will be more effective at studying since you will not be as stressed. Trust me.

Okay. I will take you up on this. I will go to the gym tomorrow morning and do half an hour of cycling. I'm better at that than running.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, excercising is a good alternative. but for me atleast, I either get lots of energy or literally pass out after a workout. but yea, overall in the long term I feel healthier and more energetic throughout the day.

Go for a run, go to the gym lift weights this will make you feel better instantly!

-Also, when you are feeling sad and those bad thoughts come to your mind, try to pay attention to them and see what they are telling you. Use your LOGIC mind to analyze your IRRATIONAL mind, be mindful about them and notice them, a lot of times doing this will help you instantly.

-Dont stay in your room, go out, go to a bookstore, borders or barnes n noble; go to the mall, even go to walmart or target and look at the magazines, but just get out of the room/house.

-Talk to someone you really trust, just pour all your emotions on them, if not, just write them.

I have gone through this and understand what you are feeling, but like I said, push yourself and dont let these feelings consume you, you can do it! :)

Eddie

This instead of smoking.

I'm being serious, btw.

And yes, nicotine definitely has a physiological response. I've smoked before (some pipes, hookahs, cigars, and cigarettes, all purely out of curiosity) and there is definitely a buzz from it. It's definitely not worth it though, there are better ways to get a release from stress (see above).

Every single cigarette makes you want the next one more, so you can't allow yourself to have even one from now on. It helps to think about the negatives of smoking (and not just lung cancer but also how gross your mouth tastes afterwards and how your friends will think you smell disgusting after smoking).

Go for a run, go to the gym lift weights this will make you feel better instantly!

I second that! Exercise is so important for happiness and managing stress. Swimming is another option for exercise if you don't like running or lifting weights.

Drink alcohol instead.

Okay, in all honesty, you can smoke a pack and not get "addicted" (kind of subjective what addiction means). But after a pack, you might find yourself caring a lot less about quitting (I guess this comes along with the addiction).

I smoked 2-3 cigs a day for a couple of years, and now smoke about 5 a month or so (whenever I'm at a party or something).

get some dip.
even the kind thats in a little pouch.
if it makes you feel weird spit it out

completely off topic, but OP does your handle have anything to do with the dark tower? if so, not bad. if no, nvm.

This instead of smoking.

1226621833105gi1.png

Honestly, the dangers of smoking are not exaggerated. Sitting in lecture day after day, it seems that "tobacco use' is a risk factor for a surprising number of heinous diseases (and not all of them are related to the lung, not by a long shot).

That being said, cigarettes serve as an extremely powerful antidepressant. If you are getting some relief from them, then I have to assume that it's either the nicotine or the O2 deprivation that's affecting you. If it's the O2 deprivation and the resulting high that goes with it, then go for a run, or take up some form of breathing-centered meditation. If it's the nicotine (and I'm hesitant to suggest this), then maybe just pick up some very low dose nicotine gum. After all, it's the smoke that will kill you, not the nicotine itself.

Honestly, the dangers of smoking are not exaggerated. Sitting in lecture day after day, it seems that "tobacco use' is a risk factor for a surprising number of heinous diseases (and not all of them are related to the lung, not by a long shot).

That being said, cigarettes serve as an extremely powerful antidepressant. If you are getting some relief from them, then I have to assume that it's either the nicotine or the O2 deprivation that's affecting you. If it's the O2 deprivation and the resulting high that goes with it, then go for a run, or take up some form of breathing-centered meditation. If it's the nicotine (and I'm hesitant to suggest this), then maybe just pick up some very low dose nicotine gum. After all, it's the smoke that will kill you, not the nicotine itself.

Yes, people exaggerate about smoking. No, one will not get addicted after having a few cigs. No, one will not get cancer if they smoke once a month.

Still, I think it is bad advice for people on here to downplay the sheer addictiveness of smoking. I had one heck of a time kicking that habit, and trust me when I say, it will have you by the short and curlys before you know it. By people on here saying it is not as bad as people make it to be, which I kind of agree in a sense, gives the OP an excuse to say, "Oh well, just one more won't hurt." Which is how a real addiction starts.

I'm sorry, but this is too close to the realm of asking for medical advice, and SDN is not the place to get that. This thread is being closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.