1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

picture for applications

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by elle, Jul 28, 2001.

1. elle

elle Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey folks,
    I was wondering if it's looked down upon to use a passport-type photo for secondary applications. I went to the local photo place and they took a decent picture, and I mean, it looks like me and all, but I was just wondering if most people use professional pictures and if anyone knows if it might make a difference....I certainly don't want to look like I don't care or didn't spend the time if it does matter, so I'd love to know other peoples' opinions. :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. emdeetwobee

emdeetwobee Member
    7+ Year Member

I used passport pictures. Is that bad? I can only spend so much, you know.

4. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Use the passport pics, I'm sure it's fine.... :cool:

5. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

I went to Walgreen's and got a cheap passport photo. My mom wanted me to get professional pictures, but I rejected that idea right away. I really don't care about the photo, and don't feel like jumping through any more hoops, like donning a sport jacket or something for a professional picture. Hey, I smiled for it, albeit insincerely, and combed my hair beforehand. That should suffice.

6. sc

sc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I called Wash U and the lady said any picture cut to fit the space was fine. I just had someone take a picture of me against a white backdrop.

7. My passport picture looks horrible, my feigned smile was twisted and devious... One of my eyes is bigger than the other... I couldn't believe it... I look like a pedophile... But I don't care, and I hope the adcoms are not so superficial. But I cannot say the same for the girls... Those med students that serve on the adcoms are probably going to pick single and beautiful girls to enhance their med school's dating pool. Likewise, they are probably more receptive to unattractive and disagreeable male applicants who will NOT potentially pose a threat to their dating. So I am submitting my horrible passport pictures without a second thought.

8. doctorperez

doctorperez Jesus was a dissident
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I turned on my video cam, put on a nice suit/tie and had my wife take a pic with the puter, printed it and...it actually looked nice and cost me almost nothing...

Dr.Perez

9. coop

coop Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i have a digital camera and just looked thru old pics to fine a good one of myself, cut my head out, put it into a new doc and printed out 8 of them on a page of normal paper. It's not glossly, but it looks like me and it looks just fine. Background isn't totally white, but whatever. The pic is just so they, after they interview you, can look at your app and say "oh that guy." I seriously doubt they will make admissions decisions based on the amount of money you have for you pictures

10. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

coop is right: the picture is only so that interviewers can make sure they have the right app in front of them when you walk in for your interview, and then to jog the adcoms' memories later when they are reviewing your file. some secondaries even state they don't require the photo until your interview. so i wouldn't worry where the picture comes from or what the picture looks like, provided you don't look totally hammered or your hair is sticking up every which way.

i just got a couple passport pictures taken at walgreens and then took them to kinko's and made a bunch of color copies.

11. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I took a pic with a digital camera, touched it up a bit in photoshop, and printed it on glossy paper. Looks enough like me to work.

12. elle

elle Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Phew! I think I just needed to know I wouldn't be the only person with 75 cent pictures. :) I'm pretty clueless about the admissions process, so I really wasn't sure if they wanted fancy pictures to figure out who was more photogenic. :)