Pictures of the Week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pt sent to me for LBP. Jan this year had cement augmentation for a fracture. An interesting picture...

You don't clear your cannulae with cement?

Members don't see this ad.

Like Joe Dirt says, "It'll buff out..."

In all seriousness, I'm told those straws are easy to remove as they'll snap off with a perc incision and force. The stuff in the disc space though seems like it'll be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
der8mc.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

The Night King resides in this man's canal?

Reactions: 4 users
6/1: 70 y/o female leans forward and POP. Falls to ground with severe axial LBP. Xray with L2 compression deformity. MRI 6/7.

L2.jpg

Pain non-radiating, midline to right of midline. T1 and T2 sag above.
H/o non-small cell Dx 9/18, no known mets, on CTX. Denies XRT.
Wt 111
H/o osteoporosis, DEXA ordered by PCP today.

What is going on here? Asking but this does not make sense.
What are your next steps?

6/1: 70 y/o female leans forward and POP. Falls to ground with severe axial LBP. Xray with L2 compression deformity. MRI 6/7.

View attachment 268451

Pain non-radiating, midline to right of midline. T1 and T2 sag above.
H/o non-small cell Dx 9/18, no known mets, on CTX. Denies XRT.
Wt 111
H/o osteoporosis, DEXA ordered by PCP today.

What is going on here? Asking but this does not make sense.
What are your next steps?
MRI with contrast.

ESR/CRP/blood cultures

Cancer or infection until proven to be just weak bones

Old fracture with acute back strain.

iliac 19.JPG

Multiple lumbar surgeries. SCS placed 2 years ago. In June had worse leg pain on right after returning from Cozumel cruise. Xray showed mild migration and programming took care of it. August returns to office for worse back and leg pain. Trip to gulf coast beaches and walking led to a fall. CT ordered. We are no longer in Lspine land. Mammo 2/19 normal, nonsmoker and clear cxr this year. Colonoscopy normal 2 years prior. Bone scan today shows no other lesion.
CT shows 3-4cm mass where ovaries used to be, possible enlarged node. Bx iliac crest in lesion with CT Tuesday and oncology later next week. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 278276

Multiple lumbar surgeries. SCS placed 2 years ago. In June had worse leg pain on right after returning from Cozumel cruise. Xray showed mild migration and programming took care of it. August returns to office for worse back and leg pain. Trip to gulf coast beaches and walking led to a fall. CT ordered. We are no longer in Lspine land. Mammo 2/19 normal, nonsmoker and clear cxr this year. Colonoscopy normal 2 years prior. Bone scan today shows no other lesion.
CT shows 3-4cm mass where ovaries used to be, possible enlarged node. Bx iliac crest in lesion with CT Tuesday and oncology later next week. Thoughts?
Keep us posted. I hope things work out for her but certainly something to learn from this case

20181212_085827.jpg

Not my case, thank God. The story is during a revision, a new fellow cut the lead instead of the anchor and it retracted up into the epidural space. Rather than getting it out, they put in two new leads and closed up.

Curious what others would have done -- left a free lead in the epidural space or call in neurosurgery to bail out?

View attachment 280186

Not my case, thank God. The story is during a revision, a new fellow cut the lead instead of the anchor and it retracted up into the epidural space. Rather than getting it out, they put in two new leads and closed up.

Curious what others would have done -- left a free lead in the epidural space or call in neurosurgery to bail out?

Good Q. I'd probably have surgery retrieve it, but you can leave leads in without issue. I worry about it moving since it isn't anchored though.

Good Q. I'd probably have surgery retrieve it, but you can leave leads in without issue. I worry about it moving since it isn't anchored though.

My biggest concern was that since the proximal end was crudely cut it might be irritating and be a trigger for a hematoma. As far as I know, the patient has done well.

Reactions: 1 user
My biggest concern was that since the proximal end was crudely cut it might be irritating and be a trigger for a hematoma. As far as I know, the patient has done well.

Consult neurosurgery if you can't cut down to grab it at the time it occurs. The reason is that it can continue migrating significantly and suddenly you're looking at an electrode array in the brain.

Consult neurosurgery if you can't cut down to grab it at the time it occurs. The reason is that it can continue migrating significantly and suddenly you're looking at an electrode array in the brain.

Would you call NSGY while you're still open or have the patient come back for a second procedure?

View attachment 280186

I don’t think the end of the lead is in the epidural space looking at the X-ray. . I would cut down and get it.

Would you call NSGY while you're still open or have the patient come back for a second procedure?

When is a matter of logistics. Calling them while you're open is great if there is an orthopedic or neurosurgical person operating next door. I have often asked if there is someone in an adjacent OR who could be of help when I'm scrubbing in and know it'll be a tough case. I leave my ego at home as I am often humbled in the clinical setting.

I would definitely get a lateral image and consider cutting down to go get it until you hit the spinous process, or trying to at least throw a deep anchoring loop to try to trap any extra spinal segment to prevent it from travelling in further. I postulate that the reason leads migrate in is because of the negative pressure in the epidural space in spontaneously breathing patients, so you could also try things like use suction or flood the space with saline from above to try and get it to flow out, but this is all conjecture.

I have heard of this happening back in the day with the Stimwave epidural leads due to their lack of an IPG anchor with their initial anchors. There are also some reports with conventional systems where the lead has been poorly anchored and poorly connected to an IPG, leading it to migrate up and into the brain.

dcr8t3.jpg

rvcyn7.jpg

This is one I revised. Lead was intact and I just pulled it back to the correct position and replaced the anchor. The original ancho either broke or was never clicked close.

Reactions: 1 users
-6.3, not -6.8

Attachments

• 20190917_071117.jpg
    20190917_071117.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 82
Nonunion.

Attachments

• 20190920_091517.jpg
    20190920_091517.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20190920_091803.jpg
    20190920_091803.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 100
No...Late 20s male. Trauma. History of opiate use prior to surgery and coming to see me next week. He's getting a new rod in like 3 weeks and I'm going to manage him until then. Probably give him oxycodone and intramedullary CBD infusion.

No...Late 20s male. Trauma. History of opiate use prior to surgery and coming to see me next week. He's getting a new rod in like 3 weeks and I'm going to manage him until then. Probably give him oxycodone and intramedullary CBD infusion.

No narcs. Get him a nicer walker. Was trauma DUI?

Don't THINK it is a DUI but in not positive. If it is a DUI unlikely opiate Rx from me. He's received a few Rx from other pain docs as it has turned out, and my nurse told him I'm not giving him Duragesic (he asked her over the phone). She told him I don't Rx that ever...I agreed to see him bc one of our trauma guys is gonna put a new rod in there soon. I'm sure I know how this will go, and neither of is will benefit but I don't think it is unreasonable to at least see him. I get maybe one or two of these crazy trauma pts pending some form of revision surgery per year, so no biggie. No one really expects too much out of me in these situations.

I placed ethibond anchor stitches first, then access needles placed through the free suture ends, then Medtronic Injex anchors, then sewed them down with the already present suture.

1572706968744.jpeg

accessed same side, same level
This is after anchoring. I made a lead loop and tunneled same as always.

she had a scs in place that worked well but went for another surgery and the guy who did the unilateral skip fusion pulled it out. I think he had more planned surgically and bailed out intraop.

I think it's an S1 on S2 spondyloptosis. No surgery. Happened 40 yrs ago believe it or not. I see the pt Friday. She is apparently completely intact.