Pictures of the Week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
View attachment 338024View attachment 338025

Extra-foraminal in first pic, intraforaminal in 2nd pic. And spread out foramen of L4 with less than 0.5cc contrast. Otherwise uneventful. Lateral pic in posterior foramen. Teleportation of contrast?
Facet capsule. Less likely okada via pars defect. Need obliques to say for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
IR with a nice kypho on a nearly normal level. The L2 wasn’t particularly bad either. Shockingly, no benefit.

Attachments

• 17D82877-0034-4B3F-A40A-73082658EB54.jpeg
    17D82877-0034-4B3F-A40A-73082658EB54.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 111
  • F480E295-437D-4DCE-8843-C52DA9DB0047.jpeg
    F480E295-437D-4DCE-8843-C52DA9DB0047.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 9DFDB539-B39D-4328-AF82-A8EA046455AE.jpeg
    9DFDB539-B39D-4328-AF82-A8EA046455AE.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Story time! (It’s a long one, but lots of pictures) showing evolution of discitis.
Patient with history of chronic back pain, prior improvement with injections, and Hx of lung cancer and pacemaker presented to my partner as well as to ER several times with new severe (debilitating) back pain. CT scan shows significant degenerative changes, “severe multilevel lumbar spondylosis with erosive endplate changes at L2-3.”

Prior CT for lung cancer screening done 3/21
028A44B9-E7AB-45BF-95B3-5E6841262D02.jpeg

CT angio obtained in the ER 5/10/21 for “radiating chest pain and diffuse abdominal pain”
7CC5F1D8-0CEE-489A-813F-1F180168CB9F.png

New CT lumbar obtained by my partner 6/14/21. Radiologist notes significant degenerative changes, “severe multilevel lumbar spondylosis with erosive endplate changes at L2-3.”
243367A7-5DCB-4490-88FF-FC8CF8F7F323.png

He then obtains a bone scan on 6/22 due to severity of the patient’s pain. The bone scan is read as moderate to severe osteoarthritis changes particularly at L2-3, with compression not excluded. Also gave him oxycodone at this point which did not touch the pain.
E0019679-2BC3-4527-9014-B6363086A621.png

At this point. My partner asks me to see him for possible kyphoplasty. I review the imaging and agree to see the patient but also ask him to order WBC, ESR, and CRP as it doesn’t look quite right for a compression fracture. Patient sees me next day, still hasn’t had labs done. We discuss possible kypho - the guy is absolutely miserable from the back pain but denies any infectious symptoms. Prior WBC from one of his ER trips was normal. I tell him I need those labs first and we need a blood thinner clearance from his cardiologist.
Yesterday, labs come back. WBC 12.8, ESR 35, CRP 73.
I called him and told him he needed to go the the ER for new imaging, spine surgeon consultation, and likely biopsy and IV antibiotics. He fought it because they hadn’t helped him before but ultimately agreed.
CT scan in the ER reads discitis with surrounding cellulitis. Had CT-guided biopsy the next day.
7C050C4D-0AA2-4E6F-B74E-39B2A70476A6.png

Looks like an inadvertent mistake. Should have done L2 and L3. L3 still fractured.
Agreed. Counting can be hard in osteopenic bones with huge disc spaces. It may have been completely not indicated, but that MRI series alone does not provide enough to make the decision.

Story time! (It’s a long one, but lots of pictures) showing evolution of discitis.
Patient with history of chronic back pain, prior improvement with injections, and Hx of lung cancer and pacemaker presented to my partner as well as to ER several times with new severe (debilitating) back pain. CT scan shows significant degenerative changes, “severe multilevel lumbar spondylosis with erosive endplate changes at L2-3.”

Prior CT for lung cancer screening done 3/21
View attachment 339911

CT angio obtained in the ER 5/10/21 for “radiating chest pain and diffuse abdominal pain”
View attachment 339912

New CT lumbar obtained by my partner 6/14/21. Radiologist notes significant degenerative changes, “severe multilevel lumbar spondylosis with erosive endplate changes at L2-3.”
View attachment 339913

He then obtains a bone scan on 6/22 due to severity of the patient’s pain. The bone scan is read as moderate to severe osteoarthritis changes particularly at L2-3, with compression not excluded. Also gave him oxycodone at this point which did not touch the pain.
View attachment 339914

At this point. My partner asks me to see him for possible kyphoplasty. I review the imaging and agree to see the patient but also ask him to order WBC, ESR, and CRP as it doesn’t look quite right for a compression fracture. Patient sees me next day, still hasn’t had labs done. We discuss possible kypho - the guy is absolutely miserable from the back pain but denies any infectious symptoms. Prior WBC from one of his ER trips was normal. I tell him I need those labs first and we need a blood thinner clearance from his cardiologist.
Yesterday, labs come back. WBC 12.8, ESR 35, CRP 73.
I called him and told him he needed to go the the ER for new imaging, spine surgeon consultation, and likely biopsy and IV antibiotics. He fought it because they hadn’t helped him before but ultimately agreed.
CT scan in the ER reads discitis with surrounding cellulitis. Had CT-guided biopsy the next day.
View attachment 339915
Radiologist read that as osteoarthritis at L2-L3 on the bone window???

Sweet baby jesus. Mustve been chiropractor radiologist.

How is everyones local radiologists? Some horror stories in here.

Agreed. Counting can be hard in osteopenic bones with huge disc spaces. It may have been completely not indicated, but that MRI series alone does not provide enough to make the decision.
Agree would need STIR and patient history to know if really indicated but “counting is hard” is not an excuse here - you can pretty clearly see the nice rectangular shape of the vertebral body on the procedure images. I always put spinal needles down to the pedicles and count and check AP/lateral before proceeding, both to verify the target and approach, and to check for new fractures.

Well, they did note prominent erosive changes, but no mention of discitis being in the differential, even as a “cannot exclude” or “clinical correlation recommended.” If my family ever needs radiology I’ll be asking a friend to over-read it.

Local rads horrible. Pushed to read as many studies as possible and never look at clinical notes.

What a joke. Who referred that patient for that?! PCP?
PA PCP referred to IR for fx, and me. IR got to her first. First consult I've seen from them.

His HPI: " She describes the pain is eight out of 10 with prolonged standing. Pain is relieved with sitting..."
Got STIR? Report mentions consult IR for kypho? If no and yes, then that seems usual in some places.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 88
Members don't see this ad :)
Bisphosphonate-induced atypical hip fracture. Referred from Ortho partner for repeat hip injection after 4 months of relief from last one. Patient had not had recent formal x-ray of hips - she was referred to my partner by her chiropractor who had already gotten x rays of the lumbar which also showed moderate-severe hip OA. Prior hip injection and the lumbar x rays were not low enough to see it. This was my first shot getting the fluoro lined up (Sorry for sideway pic, and the needle isn’t in the patient, just a marker held above)
C26BCBC9-9674-4AC1-8962-BBBC072C8F01.jpeg

Canceled injection, sent patient for formal x ray, and texted my partner. She’s having her hip replaced on Monday. Partner said this is quite rare but seen with certain bisphosphonates. It’s a chronic process that has likely been evolving for months at least. The beaked appearance is highly characteristic.

Reactions: 2 users
Bisphosphonate-induced atypical hip fracture. Referred from Ortho partner for repeat hip injection after 4 months of relief from last one. Patient had not had recent formal x-ray of hips - she was referred to my partner by her chiropractor who had already gotten x rays of the lumbar which also showed moderate-severe hip OA. Prior hip injection and the lumbar x rays were not low enough to see it. This was my first shot getting the fluoro lined up (Sorry for sideway pic, and the needle isn’t in the patient, just a marker held above)
View attachment 340549
Canceled injection, sent patient for formal x ray, and texted my partner. She’s having her hip replaced on Monday. Partner said this is quite rare but seen with certain bisphosphonates. It’s a chronic process that has likely been evolving for months at least. The beaked appearance is highly characteristic.
Here is a nice review.

Degenerative correct?

TKR approx 9 months ago with C diff requiring hospital admission for large volume potassium infusion, ABx, IVF and severe febrile diarrhea.

Pain in a T8-10 referral pattern + thoracolumbar pain R > L.

No current fevers or anything worrisome on that end, just pain.

20210729_073750.jpg
20210729_073805.jpg
20210729_073736.jpg
20210729_073839.jpg
20210729_073859.jpg

And that’s why we use live fluoro and non-particulate steroid. Mixed epidural with arterial to cord. Never seen that before outside of texts/ lectures.

Attachments

• AC9AC8A7-36D0-4B2C-9EAC-E2BF69898732.jpeg
    AC9AC8A7-36D0-4B2C-9EAC-E2BF69898732.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
And that’s why we use live fluoro and non-particulate steroid. Mixed epidural with arterial to cord. Never seen that before outside of texts/ lectures.
I suppose that why you need live while injecting contrast

ha yup. Glad I was in asc as I had dsa available for re-injection of contrast after repositioning.
Just for discussion, why not abort the procedure. Aren’t there people who say the paralysis from TFESI could be from spasm and or trauma from the needle to a radicular artery, rather than particulate steroid? Why not just remove needle completely and come back another day and not risk it?

I
Just for discussion, why not abort the procedure. Aren’t there people who say the paralysis from TFESI could be from spasm and or trauma from the needle to a radicular artery, rather than particulate steroid? Why not just remove needle completely and come back another day and not risk it?
i thought about it…. In the moment I reasoned that what’s done is done in terms of artery stick and if I retract needle back a little and get pure root flow/epidural on dsa I’d just inject the dex. I wasn’t about to advance needle or significantly reposition needle elsewhere in foramen.

are there ANY case reports of a cord infarct with dex in the L-spine? seems like the vasospasm theory mainly applies to the C-spine and vertebral arteries. i would not have aborted the procedure -- just repositioned

are there ANY case reports of a cord infarct with dex in the L-spine? seems like the vasospasm theory mainly applies to the C-spine and vertebral arteries. i would not have aborted the procedure -- just repositioned

Here's two, I think there are more though

The first paper: No images of needle positioning. Conus infarct with L4 TFESI though is concerning for a vessel/needle interaction irrespective of drug.
That second paper: "left side T12 root with 80 mg of dexamethasone and 10 ml of 1% lignocaine". That's hopefully a typo or they actually injected depomedrol/kenolog and way too much local.

• Wow

thats right. i remember that L4 report. good call. very strange case

The first paper: No images of needle positioning. Conus infarct with L4 TFESI though is concerning for a vessel/needle interaction irrespective of drug.
That second paper: "left side T12 root with 80 mg of dexamethasone and 10 ml of 1% lignocaine". That's hopefully a typo or they actually injected depomedrol/kenolog and way too much local.
Also, T12 TFESI for a compression fracture with back pain … wtf

Hey guys, new fellow here. Got this referral from ortho, young male with cerebral palsy, basically non verbal, had girdlestone procedure for intractable right hip pain (dysplasia, chronic dislocation/subluxation), 12 months out now. Pain is worse than before, can't lie down flat, parents having difficulty with basic hygiene, sleeping in his chair, getting pressure sores as a result. Any movement of the right hip causes severe pain. Any thoughts on an attempt at hip denervation? Will present case at rounds this week so will get some ideas there too.

Some images below, CT and one xray 1 year post procedure, one xray prior to surgery. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 8.44.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-23 at 8.44.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-23 at 8.42.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-23 at 8.41.05 PM.png

Hey guys, new fellow here. Got this referral from ortho, young male with cerebral palsy, basically non verbal, had girdlestone procedure for intractable right hip pain (dysplasia, chronic dislocation/subluxation), 12 months out now. Pain is worse than before, can't lie down flat, parents having difficulty with basic hygiene, sleeping in his chair, getting pressure sores as a result. Any movement of the right hip causes severe pain. Any thoughts on an attempt at hip denervation? Will present case at rounds this week so will get some ideas there too.

Some images below, CT and one xray 1 year post procedure, one xray prior to surgery. Thanks!

View attachment 342521View attachment 342522View attachment 342523View attachment 342524
Less excited about hip blocks, but can trial. Why not ITB for spasticity contributions with trickled in analgesics after baclofen dose is locked in?

Less excited about hip blocks, but can trial. Why not ITB for spasticity contributions with trickled in analgesics after baclofen dose is locked in?
Great idea Orin. We decided to trial lumbar plexus block +- neurolysis if good response but I will look more into ITB as well. It doesn't seem like my unit has much experience with this but we could always refer.

There is a technique in the textbook that I’ve never seen anyone do before …. Intrathecal neurolysis with alcohol

There is a technique in the textbook that I’ve never seen anyone do before …. Intrathecal neurolysis with alcohol

Seriously, never seen that before? Making me feel old..er.

Great idea Orin. We decided to trial lumbar plexus block +- neurolysis if good response but I will look more into ITB as well. It doesn't seem like my unit has much experience with this but we could always refer.
I am assuming you mean lumbar sympathetic plexus and not the true lumbar plexus?

Did it as a fellow. We had an older British attending who would do it for chest wall pain in CA. He used a technique her called "painting the ceiling (hypobaric ETOH) and carpeting the floor (hyperbaric phenol). Look at chart and determine the levels of the spinal cord that the needed thoracic nerve roots exit and do a thoracic LP at that level. Lateral position - inject ETOH with the affected side UP. If there is pain on the DEPENDENT side then inject phenol. Hold position for 20 minutes. Pretty scary stuff. I tried it once early in my career. Put patient on his side. Lots of difficulty doing LP. Meanwhile, he starts coughing up tons of bright red blood and I abort the mission.

Reactions: 2 users
Did it as a fellow. We had an older British attending who would do it for chest wall pain in CA. He used a technique her called "painting the ceiling (hypobaric ETOH) and carpeting the floor (hyperbaric phenol). Look at chart and determine the levels of the spinal cord that the needed thoracic nerve roots exit and do a thoracic LP at that level. Lateral position - inject ETOH with the affected side UP. If there is pain on the DEPENDENT side then inject phenol. Hold position for 20 minutes. Pretty scary stuff. I tried it once early in my career. Put patient on his side. Lots of difficulty doing LP. Meanwhile, he starts coughing up tons of bright red blood and I abort the mission.
Did this attending have patients that this worked? Any neurological deficits?

In experienced hands it works well. It’s really an art you have to learn from someone because I have never found a good step by step description in a text. Docs in the UK did a lot more of that stuff than anyone did here. The guys here that really knew the art of neurolysis are either dead (Richard Patt) or retired (Subash Jain). I have a buddy here in NJ who trained with and worked alongside Subash Jain at MSK in NY. He on occasion gets asked by the palliative care team at a major NJ hospital to come in and do intrathecal neurolysis. I’ll bet Allen Burton the CMO at Abbott also has quite a bit of neurolysis experience from his days at MD Anderson. Regarding deficits, you need to be doing these on people in whom you don’t care if a deficit develops.

I remember several board questions about this