Pierce An Ear, Or Save A Kid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I took my kids to the pediatrician today for their routine check ups. I was surprised when they tried to sell me on "Medical Ear Piercing" for our kids. It turns out even Pediatricians now are forced to dabble in their version of cash-pay cosmetics and other non-medical side projects, to be able to continue the "luxury" of actually continuing to treat patients. An example (not my kids' pediatrician): If you've got cold hard cash, "We charge

$80
for the piercing, which includes the earrings and local anesthetic
."

Heck, why stop there? Bring your doll to the office and we'll pierce her ears, too, for an extra $14! Get your doll's hair done for an extra $25, add the doll-spa deluxe package for $12, and get your doll a facial for $5 with the Pampering Plus Package,like they do at AmericanGirl! Let's make some real money. We're up to $136 now!

What does New York State Medicaid pay a Pediatrician to actually treat a child?

$37 - (CPT 99213, typical follow up visit)

What does New York State Medicaid pay an Emergency Physician to see a child in the ED....(read more and find out)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sadly - many would pay for the piercing but if the sign read $80 cash for a doctor's visit people would be outraged.

My wife took my kids to the pediatrician today for their routine check ups. My wife was surprised when they tried to sell her on "Medical Ear Piercing" for our kids. It turns out even Pediatricians now are forced to dabble in their version of cash-pay cosmetics and other non-medical side projects, to be able to continue the "luxury" of actually continuing to treat patients. An example (not my kids' pediatrician): If you've got cold hard cash, "We charge

$80
for the piercing, which includes the earrings and local anesthetic
."

Heck, why stop there? Bring your doll to the office and we'll pierce her ears, too, for an extra $14! Get your doll's hair done for an extra $25, add the doll-spa deluxe package for $12, and get your doll a facial for $5 with the Pampering Plus Package! Let's make some real money. We're up to $136 now!

What does New York State Medicaid pay a Pediatrician to actually treat a child?

$37 - (CPT 99213, typical follow up visit)

What does New York State Medicaid pay an Emergency Physician to see a child in the ED?

$56 - (CPT 99203, typical new pediatric patient visit)

With an average cost of medical school of $278,455 at private schools and $207,868 at public ones with student debts reaching up to $400,000 in some cases, is it any wonder doctors, including Pediatricians now are bailing out of the traditional practice of Medicine in favor of more superficial endeavors involving cosmetics and non-clinical careers? Is this next for Pediatric Emergency Departments:

"Go to the front of the line:

Bilateral Ear Piercings for $80 cash, in 15 minutes or Less, Guaranteed!"

(Oh, and by the way, we take care of emergencies, too! :) )

And what part of NY was this in?????

Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly - many would pay for the piercing but if the sign read $80 cash for a doctor's visit people would be outraged.

sadly true

And what part of NY was this in?????

Click on the first hyperlink. It takes you to a website of 3 Pediatrics locations that offers this. Again, like I said in this post, this link is just an example and not the actual practice my kids go to.

The 2nd link takes you to AmericanGirl where getting your kid's doll pampered at the "spa" actually "reimburses" more than a NY State Medicaid 99213 office follow-up!

The fourth link refers to Fed Chairman, Ben Bernake's kid in medical school: $400,000 in debt.

Last edited:
No deal until I get medically supervised penis piercings. C'mon, you guys know you want to.

:naughty:

(Interesting read btw)

I'll make a house call if you really want them done right. I charge $150 in cash and can be there within 15 minutes of the call. :)

No deal until I get medically supervised penis piercings. C'mon, you guys know you want to.

:naughty:

(Interesting read btw)

Better yet, get the piercings at a pediatrician's office :naughty: