Piercings hurt your chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MizzouDrWannabe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just curious, does anybody think that piercings or visible tattoos would hurt someone in interviews? I don't have any (visible anyway) but I've always kind of wondered about that.

Members don't see this ad.

They don't help.

This means I should remove my eyebrow ring and lip ring before my interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just think for half a second... Would the average American feel more or less confident if their Doctor had irregular piercings? I think you know the answer to this one. You should do everything in your power to maintain an appearance that instills a person with the sence that you are conventional, trustworthy, competent, and focused.

There is a boy in my Genetics class who is pre-med and he has the biggest...I swear...the most HUMONGOUS piece of steal through his lower lip that I have EVER seen...I try not to stare, but jeez...I don't know how he can eat. This is what got me thinking about it, I'm not about to go do it!

When you go for your interview, they are trying to imagine you as the finished product. Do everything you can to make that image desirable.
By the way, I have seen many doctors, and none of them have ever had visible face peircings. I think that says something.

i have a nosering and 7 earrings. two tattoos as well.
for interviews (and professional situations) i wore a retainer in my nosering hole. i took out all but 4 earrings. my tattoos are hideable.

i've been wearing a small small diamond (small small small) stud in my nose... no comments yet. if anyone has a problem with it, though, i can remove it and wear a retainer.

i'm offended by noserings please remove them before coming to class. thx

Originally posted by GoodMonkey
i have a nosering and 7 earrings. two tattoos as well.
for interviews (and professional situations) i wore a retainer in my nosering hole. i took out all but 4 earrings. my tattoos are hideable.

i've been wearing a small small diamond (small small small) stud in my nose... no comments yet. if anyone has a problem with it, though, i can remove it and wear a retainer.

You have tattoos GoodMonkey?

i have extra piercings in my ear. didn't take 'em out though....as long as it's not too in-your-face, i don't really think it matters. you probably don't want to go in w/a huge piece of steel in your lip, but...a few delicate ornaments and tasteful designs...can't hurt??

here's a quick thought: to get this far you've:
1. done well in school
2. prepped for and taken the mcat
3. spent lots of money to go interivew

with all that invested, it'd be a shame to leave a bad impression because of a piercing or tatoo. is it fair that old white men run med schools for the most part? hell no, but you're not going to change the system overnight. perhaps in 20 years it may not matter, but in 2003 it still might, so the safest thing to do is be conservative.

All of my "irregular piercings" are hidden. All four below the neckline and, of those, 2 below the belt. No problem for me at any point; am now in residency. :D

However, showering at the MedSchool and hospital gyms sure got them wagging their tongues. :p

It can depend on the school sometimes. If you are going to a very conservative type school then you might want to curb your enthusiam (sp?). But otherwise I wouldn't see why you shouldn't wear it. If your stats are fine then you should be fine.

Also, if the piercing doesn't gross out the interviewer. Tatoos can't be hidden (depending on location)but you can always remove the piercing (I think) for the day.

I think it's cool to see docs with tatoos and piercings...they are only human.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
i'm offended by noserings please remove them before coming to class. thx

ahh sod off. besides, you don't see me complaining about the screw-in skull piercings you have, do you?

and whatever, you don't even come to class so how would you even see me? and when you do - you sit on the opposite side of the room.

toolio! :laugh: :p

Originally posted by Zweihander
You have tattoos GoodMonkey?

indeed. i have two. one sorta-kinda shows thru nylons, as it is the typical i-am-18-must-be-trendy girly girly tattoo on my ankle that i got like 7 years ago. don't worry, though, it's not a disney character, a rose or a dolphin. :p

i have another one on the stereotypical girly-girl location: lower back. i drew it myself though and i got it about a year ago. it's simple but i love it. :D

Originally posted by redleft123
All of my "irregular piercings" are hidden. All four below the neckline and, of those, 2 below the belt. No problem for me at any point; am now in residency. :D

However, showering at the MedSchool and hospital gyms sure got them wagging their tongues. :p
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by redleft123

so, can we go out? ;) :p

At three of my interviews in Texas, I ran into the same girls with- I kid you not- 3 piercing on EACH ear at three different spot... It looked sexy.... hey those old professors might get a kick out of it...

The only thing I have is a navel piercing and if that's visible...well, then I'd REALLY be going out on a limb :D Who knows though, it might work?? :p