Piercings in the OR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invitro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey. I got a nose piercing recently....it's very small (a stud) and I really like it. The program I'm going to doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Just wanted to ask any of the attgs on this board if this could be a problem in private practice.

I posted a pic (temporarily) for those interested on how big it is...it's really tiny!

Sorry I don't have a more serious question...probably that will change once I become a CA-1 in july.

thanx

DrDre'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an internal med attending (female) with a nose piercing. Liberal, large city. Lots of staff with visible tattoos and such. What MMD said....

Becoming less of an issue every 5-10 yrs. BUT, there those that will always be bothered by anything different.

What have you guys observed about visible tattoos in PP or academia?

Hey. I got a nose piercing recently....it's very small (a stud) and I really like it. The program I'm going to doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Just wanted to ask any of the attgs on this board if this could be a problem in private practice.

I iposted a pic (temporarily) for those interested on how big it is...it's really tiny!

Sorry I don't have a more serious question...probably that will change once I become a CA-1 in july.

thanx

invitro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to double check though....there are NO adverse risks to patients if health care providers (anesthesiologists) have nose piercings...right? I was wondering about that, because I know patients have to remove all piercings before surgery....I think that is primarily so they don't conduct electricity...I think.

No increased infection risk right? I'm definitely MRSA negative, but I would hate to have infected a patient because I wasn't taking the proper precautions.

Then again, I see female gas attgs with earrings in the OR all the time.

I know, stupid question, but I was hoping I could get some input.

Thanx

Gasboy07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just make sure the surgeon doesn't wave the diathermy around your nose!

Gasboy07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heard this joke?

Flight attendant: "Is there an anesthesiologist on the plane"

Anesthesiologist in economy: puts hand up "yes, is there an arresting patient?"

Flight attendant: "There is a surgeon in first class who would like his light adjusted"

(Obviously before the days of autoclavable light handles - now we just answer phones and adjust the irrigation...)