Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pikesville

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by kimosabe, Jun 4, 2002.

1. kimosabe

kimosabe Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Whats the scoop on pikesville, It sounds like a fairly nice place. Does anybody have any Idea what scores will make it in as far as gpa and mcat are concerned. All replies are appreciated. Kimo

2. shanet74

shanet74 Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm also very interested in Pikeville, so if there's anyone out there that lives in the area, or goes to Pikeville, or has interviewed there... Give us the scoop on the place.
    Looks beautiful there.

3. Claymore

Claymore Yankees Suck
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I received an interview invitation from Pikeville this year, but decided not to attend. I think one key to getting in is that you need to have some tie to the Appalachian region, because one of their goals is to train docs for that area. You should definitely address this in your secondary application essays. They are not likely to admit someone who has no ties to the area unless you have exceptional grades/extracurriculars/etc. As far as the school itself, I got the impression that it was very well organized (from the professional and timely fashion in which I was dealt with) and that people were friendly. It is a relatively small and new school, with a strong emphasis on primary care. Perhaps others can comment further. Good luck.

4. thirdangel

thirdangel Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know much about the PCSCOM, but I've been to Pikeville before and it's a nice place. It's beautiful in the fall. People are very friendly there. The only thing that I didn't like is that it is about 2-3 hours away from the nearest city and the only way I know that you get there is by car. I guess if you are coming from a big city, it might be difficult. Otherwise it's a nice place.

5. shanet74

shanet74 Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone else have any information on Pikeville, would love to hear from anyone that interviewed there this year.

6. DOSouthpaw

DOSouthpaw Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I interviewed last year in December and was accepted a week later. This is the wrap. Straight from the horse's mouth,

"If you want to be a sergeon, there are a lot of great medical schools out there for that, but this is not one of them. Our purpose here is to crank out the very best primary care physician in four years that can be produced."

There you go, this school is all about turning out mountain doctors for mountain people. That is why the school is only a few years old and already is ranked above one of our state allopathic schools (University of Kentucky) in rural medicine. If you want to be a complete medical swiss army knife, Pikeville is for you! (they even give you denistry classes!) The school is trying to put doctors in Eastern KY where the primary care doc to patient ratio is around 6000 to 1! People have to use the Emergency Room in Pikeville for their Family doctor because there are not enough here.
    If you want to do something other than being a primary care physician, it is almost impossible to get in, and it shows. The GPAs of the students they turn away are higher than the ones they accept.
    The faculty is awesome though. If you are interested, call and ask the receptionist (her name is Angel) that you want to talk to Steve Payson. He is the man. Make an appointment if you live close and he'll spend an hour or so with you showing you around and explain what it takes to be a DO at Pikeville.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me. Later!

7. Dr.A-OPTIC/NavyDO

Dr.A-OPTIC/NavyDO Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

For those of you interested in PCSOM and Pikeville, here is the real scope. I am FP faculty and incharge of postgraduate opportunities. 29 year Navy doc and 4 in academic medicine.
    Pikeville, Kentucky is a town of 6,500 wonderful folks in the largest county in the US east of the Mississippi. The area is the Appalachian Mountains and all that is beautiful about it. The people of the town are 100% behind you and very proud of the fact you are training to be their doctor (no town-gown stuff). If you are into designer clothes, gourmet meals and foreign films, please reconsider. If you can be happy shopping at SuperWalmart (if they don't sell it you don't need it),good basic food (italian, mexican and chinese)and a place where you can leave your car unlocked and walk in the eviening with out fear, this may be the place for you.
    PCSOM's mission is to training primary care doctors for the Appalacians and other underserved area. It does a great job of it. Graduates are highly sought after (70-80% go into primary care specialties - IM, Peds, OB and FP) others go into more limited specialties. The PCSOM Board of Trustees makes sure you start with a level playing field by supplying you with a
    Dell lap top (all lectures are on powerpoint and can be downloaded)
    OPP table (a strong part of the curriculum)
    Stetescope, and diagnosistic kit (Welch Allyn Oto and Opthalmoscope)
    and all required text books
    The curriculum is tough. Clinical rotations are 14 months in 8 core site (mostly in KY or neigboring states)
    If you want to know more contact me privately.