Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Med.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rellik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be interviewing at Pikeville soon and was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the school other that what is posted on their website?? Any input would be great.

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

i interviewed at pcsom before. they want students who are from the applachia area. you must be from tennessee, virginia, and west virginia. 90% of the current students are from these states. they also want students who are committed to a career as a physician in an underserved, rural area.
pikeville is a very very poor area. there is not a lot to do up there. there is no big shopping center. there are only one or two restaurants. the main attraction in pikeville is walmart. the school only accepts about 62 students and interview about 120. they have about 2000 applications to this year's class.

I really appreciate your reply. Actually, I do live in TN and my wife and I are used to Walmart being the main attraction in the town
smile.gif

Can I ask, were you accepted and, if so, how long was it before you heard from the school. Also, were there any particularly interesting interview questions posed to you?

Again, thanks for your help.

r

Members don't see this ad :)
rellik,
Actually Pikeville is a very rich town. It wasn't rated as one of the top 20 best small towns in America to live in for nothing. I seriously doubt zorro toured the city fully. Another bonus is that the governor of KY is from Pikeville he is pumping in a ton of money for development like a new interstate I-66, and a 15,000 seat civic center. We do have some shopping centers with the usual stores (JCPenny, Dawhares, etc.)but there are no malls. As for there not being alot to do, pretty much anything you are interested in can be found and I assure you Pikeville has a TON of restuarants. Three new ones have opened up in the last three months including Applebee's!!!!!!!!! I thought the main attraction in every town was Wal-Mart?

Also, we accept a few students from other areas like Indiana, Washington, and especially Ohio. You have a shot at PCSOM as long as you convince the admissions committee that you will enter primary care.

FYI, I think zorro was rejected.

I'm headed to PCSOM this fall. Yes, I am from Tennessee, but not from a small town. While I grew up in a small town, I've lived in Memphis for the past several years. I'm looking forward to a change of pace. My wife and I drove around the area surrounding Pikeville after the interview. It's correct that there aren't any mall's or other large facilities like that, there were plenty of stores and places to eat.

FWIW, I went back to school after a long hiatus with the intention of practicing medicine in an underserved area, so the mission of PCSOM was ideal for me. The schools facilities compare favorably with what I've seen in other schools, and the small class size was a definite plus in my opinion.

FYI MR. FYI,
zorro interviewed at 2 DO schools, LECOM AND PCSOM AND WAS not rejected to either one. i will be attending LECOM this fall.

It is amazing the differences in opinion. I guess that is what makes the world go round!

I am going back to achool after a few years of work as a health care administrator and would like to move into primary care. I think Pikeville would be a good fit for me as well.

As far as the town goes, do you own or rent. What is the skinny on rents/housing prices in the area? My wife and I have a 7 mo. old and a black lab that likes a back yard. With this in mind, owning would be preferrable, not to mention the tax benefits of ownership.

Also, regarding clinicals, can students stay in the Pikeville area to complete this aspect of training. My wife and I have moved around quite alot over the last few years with my old job. We would like to stay in one area for the four years if possible.

Thanks,

R

zorro,
Chill out. It is obvious you got waitlisted and that's okay. 2 of the top 5 students in our class got off the waitlist. The admissions committee is NOT all knowing. I apologize if I made you mad. I just thought that you had alot of interest in PCSOM prior to your interview and have since gotten bitter.

Rellik,
Some own but most rent. It seems that many of the older students own while the younger ones rent. The most I have heard for rent is $700/month. Many people I know pay about $600/month for a 2-3 bedroom townhouse. When I started looking for a place, I used the local newspaper. I quickly noticed that many of the listings in there were for places that could not be rented to anyone. The best option is to drive around town and once you see a place you like, just knock on the door and ask who their landlord is. Everyone is pretty friendly. Good luck.

Hi PikevilleMedStudent!

I am in the ER this month at PMH. I have only been there one day but everyone was so nice. The previous ER that I had worked in, not everyone was so friendly. Just wanted to pop in and say hello!

Billie, MS-III

I was looking for anyone that has been accepted for the class of 2005.

Also, I am from Louisiana and was accepted to PCSOM. Good luck to all of you out-of-state apps.

Speaking of staying in underserved counties...

I have heard that if you agree to spending three or four years of your career in Eastern Kentucky, the state of KY will actually pay off your med school loans. I heard this from an extremely reliable source. What's the deal about it? Is it true?

Where is St. Amant, LA, anyway?

I know that a Kentucky resident can receive a scholarship which cuts your tuition in half, but you must agree to practice for one year in the state for each year you receive the scholarship. I am not from Kentucky and chose not to become a resident so I have not looked into the whole thing too much, but I did look at a friend of mine's contract with the scholarship and it stated that you must practice somewhere in the commonwealth. It did not say anything about eastern, undersereved or rural Kentucky. Now, there could be another "unofficial" program by the state which will forgive loans for practicing in eastern Kentucky, but I am not aware of it.

I would also state that there are alot of students from the Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia area that gets in at Pikeville.

Firebird

St. Amant, LA is in south LA roughly between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

About 30-40 minutes from the Big Easy.

I'm an MS III from the London Hub Site, currently doing a rotation at Corbin Regional Medical Center. I to had a difficult decision, PCSOM vs. PCOM vs. LECOM. I chose PCSOM because I'm from Eastern KY and wanted to take advantage of the scholarship. PCSOM being the newest school is plagued by disorganization (probably assoc. w/ any new school), but I think in a few years it will be a very good school. And it has a real mission.

In the first two years Gross and Path are weak, however, Physio and Pharm are very strong. In reference to OMT, Dr Stiles is a very good professor and a very nice person. However, we achieved our board scores due to the OMT Review text. His techniques and terminology are very different from board questions.

In reference to clinical rotations, several are weak, however, the Spady rotation is awesome. I'm sure I had more responsibilities than other 3rd years.

About the scholarship, for each year you accept it you are agreeing to stay in Ky and practice primary care for a year. I took the scholarship my first year, but have since declined it. I'm not sure if I'll remain here and I may subspecialize.

And lastly, there's a very high percentage of MD want-to-bes at PCSOM, probably higher than other DO schools. That's probably what I like least, from day one listening to students claiming they didn't want to go to UK, U of L, etc. That's also what I like least about the DO profession, all the hypocrisy. Why can't people just admit that this is a great alternative, with the same rights and pay. But there's that prestige thing. I think for my residency I'll do "brain surgery" at Harvard or Yale.

In response to Max's comments, I must say that we now have an excellent gross class. They got rid of that Dr. Snow guy that the third years had. The second years and us(first years) had Dr. Lancaster and Dr. Stefan along with Julie of course. It was awesome. Also, path is getting better because one of the poor path prof.'s is retiring. Hopefully we will get a better path prof since we are more established now. They are some MD wanna be's still but maybe less now. I would venture to say that I was one of the few students who grew up wanting to a DO. I went to Dr. Spady all my life and wanted to be just like him. I am glad you thought it was an excellent rotation.

[This message has been edited by Pikevillemedstudent (edited April 07, 2001).]