Pikeville College SOM- 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am still wondering the answer to this question! What is the statement of purpose?! It's so general I have no idea what to put there.

I basically discussed the same points I made in my personal statement but in different ways. I also tailored it more to Pikeville specifically and how their school would be a good fit for me considering I was born and raised in eastern Kentucky. Primary care and rural medicine are two big points for me which are both aspects of Pikeville's mission statement.

Members don't see this ad.

I am still wondering the answer to this question! What is the statement of purpose?! It's so general I have no idea what to put there.

The application tells you what they want out of the statement of purpose. In some ways, yes it does seem like rehashing your personal statement, but it also asks for some more specific things (like why KYCOM). I made some of the same points as my personal statement, but mostly tried to write something new so they wouldn't think it was laziness. Good luck!

The application tells you what they want out of the statement of purpose. In some ways, yes it does seem like rehashing your personal statement, but it also asks for some more specific things (like why KYCOM). I made some of the same points as my personal statement, but mostly tried to write something new so they wouldn't think it was laziness. Good luck!

Oh, you're right. It does say what they want. It's on the first page of the secondary. :oops: Thanks for pointing that out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still haven't received a secondary :( I thought they didn't screen but now I'm not sure. Given their stats I would assume I would not be screened out but who knows I guess. I'll just have to be patient a little longer and maybe give them a call in a week or two just to be sure.

Still haven't received a secondary :( I thought they didn't screen but now I'm not sure. Given their stats I would assume I would not be screened out but who knows I guess. I'll just have to be patient a little longer and maybe give them a call in a week or two just to be sure.

When did you submit your primary?

I'm still waiting too... Frustrating. I haven't heard a peep from them. I would really like a secondary though... hmm.

Also, I submitted my primary back in June.

I just received an email today telling me that I was going to be scheduled for an interview soon!

I just received an email today telling me that I was going to be scheduled for an interview soon!

Exciting! I see that you are IS. When were you complete if you don't mind me asking, and also... they schedule the interview for you?!

@DrGaga, that is so exciting! I got an e-mail yesterday also saying all they are waiting on are my LORs (even tho I sent them over a week ago!) and then they are interested in scheduling me, too! OMG, I'm so stoked! Here's wishing good luck to us both!

Got the same interview email as Dr. Gaga.

Went in to talk to Admissions, they said that I'd probably hear about interviews sometime next week.

More than likely, it'll be the last weekend of the month.

Hi All,

I spoke to admissions recently and wanted to let anybody who is waiting for their file to be complete: the lady who processes all of the electronic LORs & etc has been on medical leave but should be back next week to process that stuff, so be patient and maybe touch base with them if you don't hear anything by the end of next week. Enjoy the long weekend!

Can someone post the email they got for the interview? I got a follow-up that they would be in contact next week but it was an answer to a question I had regarding timeline so I'm not sure if they meant that my app would be completed by next week or that interview invites would go out next week.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I received the email that my secondary had been successfully submitted and time stamped on August 23rd. My letters were all received back in July, so the secondary was all that had to be finished. I received another email on August 30th telling me that my secondary had been downloaded by the admissions staff, and on September 1st, I received my email notifying me about interviews. I posted the email below:

"Thank you for your interest in KYCOM. We have received your secondary application and our records show you have all necessary documents in your file to proceed with your application. The admissions committee has identified you as a strong candidate and we will be contacting you shortly concerning interview date. I look forward to speaking to you soon. Thanks!"

@DrGaga, that is so exciting! I got an e-mail yesterday also saying all they are waiting on are my LORs (even tho I sent them over a week ago!) and then they are interested in scheduling me, too! OMG, I'm so stoked! Here's wishing good luck to us both!

That's awesome! Good luck to you, too!! I'm so excited that this process is finally winding down!

Thanks for posting the details on your interview invite. Congratulations and best of luck.

@Dr. Gaga

When you get an email about interview dates...text me and I'll do the same...

Can someone confirm the number of LOR's required... I thought we needed 3 (2 science and 1 non scenic) and 1 DO letter. Is this correct or is it 3 science letters?

Can someone confirm the number of LOR's required... I thought we needed 3 (2 science and 1 non scenic) and 1 DO letter. Is this correct or is it 3 science letters?

I sent in 2 science faculty letters and a D.O Letter.

Just got an interview invite!

September 30 @ 1

Interview for 9/30!!!! So soon! I need to start my research on KYCOM and Pikeville. The campus itself looks beautiful from their online pics. Very excited to go to Kentucky for the first time!

Don't post a lot, but just wanted to chime in and say I just got an interview invite for 9/30 as well!

I still havent received an email saying I am complete. But I know everything has been turned in. Is anyone else having this problem?

Interview for 9/30!!!! So soon! I need to start my research on KYCOM and Pikeville. The campus itself looks beautiful from their online pics. Very excited to go to Kentucky for the first time!

Interview for 9/30, too! This will also be my first time to KY, so very exciting! Already bought my plane ticket, w00t! :banana:

I still havent received an email saying I am complete. But I know everything has been turned in. Is anyone else having this problem?

I would call and check, thats what I had to do. They are very nice about updating you about your application.

Hey I got the email too that I am interviewing 9/30 @ 1pm. Second interview for the month. Look forward to meeting everyone!

thanks, I called last friday and they said they were pulling my recommendations but not heard anything since so I dont know.

Congrats to all that got an interview invite.

For any re-applicants out there, I talked with them today and they will be reviewing re-applicant files separately next week.

thanks, I called last friday and they said they were pulling my recommendations but not heard anything since so I dont know.

I never got a complete email, so I emailed them on 9/1 and this was the response:
"Thank you for your interest in our school. Our records show we have already received your secondary application and the only thing missing from your file is the LOR’s. We look forward to receiving these letters as our committee has identified you as a strong candidate for interview. Thanks!"

Then I got the email today about an interview!

Got my interview invite yesterday! I'm a little disappointed because they gave me the September 30th date, and I have an immunology exam that day. It's taught by a professor who is on the board for another medical school I applied to...can't get it moved!! I called, and their next interview date is October 14th and 15th...I have two med school interviews for another school on those days! Sooo I'm interviewing November 5th now! I wish I could interview with you guys! Good luck!

I never got a complete email, so I emailed them on 9/1 and this was the response:
"Thank you for your interest in our school. Our records show we have already received your secondary application and the only thing missing from your file is the LOR’s. We look forward to receiving these letters as our committee has identified you as a strong candidate for interview. Thanks!"

Then I got the email today about an interview!

okay thanks, hopefully Ill hear something soon.

Congrats to all that got an interview invite.

For any re-applicants out there, I talked with them today and they will be reviewing re-applicant files separately next week.

Well maybe thats why Ive not even heard Im complete I really hope so!! Are you reapplying?

I am. They told me the re-applicants would be reviewed by the admissions committee next week so I dont know if the complete email will come or if just an interview invite will come to those that are invited.

I am. They told me the re-applicants would be reviewed by the admissions committee next week so I dont know if the complete email will come or if just an interview invite will come to those that are invited.

okay thanks!! I really hope I havent annoyed them I was just getting really worried and noone told me that lol. If you hear anything pleasepost and Ill do the same.

do they interview/accept people with 22 mcat? Because their average is 24

do they interview/accept people with 22 mcat? Because their average is 24

I've got a 23, I'm from OR, and I am interviewing on 9/30. Can let you know about the acceptance part when I know (*here's hoping*)!

I wish I would hear back from Pikeville :( I haven't heard a peep from them. I am from Ohio and would love to stay in the Appalachian area... hmm.

how come i still havent received a secondary?
does this mean i wont be getting one?
i dont get it whyyyyy

I called them today only to get a voicemail. My call was not returned (yet? I hope!). I am confused as to why I have yet to even receive a secondary when I have a 25R MCAT, am a TN resident, have a gpa around their average, have a ton of healthcare experience, and am coming from a top 20 school I know they are familiar with. I hate silence :( I'm interested in this school too. I hope they contact me back about a secondary, because we are getting a little late in the game am I'm starting to get nervous.

Hey all,

I just finished finalizing my flight, hotel, and car rental bookings. If anybody else who is interviewing on 9/30 would like to jump in & share the cost of the car rental just PM me. See you guys soon! :hello:

To those who got interviews or rejected, how long are they taking to review secondary apps after you submit them??

To those who got interviews or rejected, how long are they taking to review secondary apps after you submit them??

I submitted Aug 27th, which was confirmed on the 28th and downloaded by admissions on the 30th. Then was offered an invitation to interview on Sept 9.

I called them today only to get a voicemail. My call was not returned (yet? I hope!). I am confused as to why I have yet to even receive a secondary when I have a 25R MCAT, am a TN resident, have a gpa around their average, have a ton of healthcare experience, and am coming from a top 20 school I know they are familiar with. I hate silence :( I'm interested in this school too. I hope they contact me back about a secondary, because we are getting a little late in the game am I'm starting to get nervous.

I am in the same situation too, no secondary yet! I am sure others are too so let us know what you find out. If they don't return your call then I'll try calling next. The CIB says they send secondaries to all applicants so perhaps that is not true??

I am in the same situation too, no secondary yet! I am sure others are too so let us know what you find out. If they don't return your call then I'll try calling next. The CIB says they send secondaries to all applicants so perhaps that is not true??

Me three... please keep us updated on what you find out Vandyam!